|City of Hamilton
Request to Speak to a Committee of Council
If you wish to address Council and make your views known on a particular issue, you may request the opportunity to speak at a Committee meeting by completing a Request to Speak to a Committee of Council form commonly referred to as a Delegation Request form.
Note: This delegation request form does not apply to presentations made under the Planning Act.
Delegation Request Process
- Submit completed Request to Speak form (link below) to the Clerk's Office. You will be contacted to confirm receipt of your delegation request. If you are not contacted within three days of submitting your delegation request, please contact the Clerk's office at 905 546-4408.
- Request will be directed to the Committee Clerk for the Committee most appropriate to address the issues you wish to present. Delegation requests are listed on the next appropriate Committee Agenda for consideration. It is not necessary for you to be present when your delegation request is being considered, unless the item is on that day's agenda.
- Following the committee meeting you will be contacted again by the Committee Clerk to advise if your request was approved or denied.
- If your request is approved, you will be provided with possible dates to schedule your presentation.
- The City makes a video record of Committee and Council meetings. If you make a presentation to a Committee, the City will be video recording you and will make the recording public by publishing the recording on the City's website.
Presentations are limited to 5 minutes.
If you are representing an organization one or two people should be chosen to represent the organization to speak.
Deadlines to submit Delegation Requests
* For summer meeting requests (July/August), please contact the City Clerk's Office at 905 546-4408 for further information.
- Items not listed on a Committee agenda: request is to be received by no later than 12:00 (noon) on the business day before the Committee.
- Items listed on a Committee agenda: request is to be received no later than 4:30 p.m. the business day before the Committee.
The following points may assist you in preparing for your presentation:
- Keep in mind that you only have 5 minutes, so keep your comments concise and to the point.
- If you are using power point make sure you have appropriate copies of your presentation to share with the committee members. The Committee Clerk can provide you with the appropriate number of copies to bring. Have your presentation on a Memory Stick or a CD.
- Provide a copy of your presentation to the Committee Clerk for the public record.
- When addressing members of the Committee, it is appropriate to address Councillors as Mr. Mayor, or Councillor (name). You may be asked questions by individual Members of Committee following your presentation, usually to receive clarification on an issue you raised during your presentation, or to seek additional information. This is to provide Councillors with an opportunity to explore your issue further.
If your request to present to Committee is denied you may wish to forward written correspondence to committee outlining your concerns.
If you require additional information, please contact the City Clerk's office at 905 546-4408.