City of Hamilton - Planning & Economic Development
What is a Bazaar?
A bazaar is a sale of goods for charity. Eligible organizations that hold bazaars may be licenced by the municipality to conduct lottery events at a bazaar under a bazaar licence. An organization which runs a bazaar where no lottery events are being held does not need to obtain a licence.
What lottery events can be conducted at a Bazaar?
- wheels of Fortune (i.e. Crown and Anchor) with a maximum of three wheels per day, and a minimum individual bet of $0.50 and maximum individual bet of $2.00
- raffle scheme with prizes totalling no more that $500 and tickets sold only at the event
- bingo scheme with a prize board totalling no more than $500
- penny Sale with a prize board totalling no more than $500
How do I apply for a Bazaar Licence?
All organizations which have been deemed eligible by the City of Hamilton that wish to conduct a bazaar lottery event must submit the following information or documents for your application to be considered:
- an Application to Conduct a Bazaar Lottery to be completed, in detail, by two bona fide members of the Organization (original must be submitted)
- any amendments or updates to previously submitted documentation (budget, board of directors, etc.)
- game schedules, game format, prize boards and card prices of the bingo events that the organization wishes to run
- a copy of the raffle ticket (can be hand drawn) to be used, a list of all prizes and the retail value of them (if merchandise) if the bazaar includes a raffle event
- licence fee
Please allow for 30 days processing time.
What is the cost for a Bazaar Licence?
The Lottery Licence fee is based on 3% of the total value of all prizes to be awarded from a Bingo or Raffle scheme at the Bazaar. This amount includes all prizes that are either purchased and/or donated. The licencing fee for Wheels of Fortune is a flat rate of $10 per wheel per day.
Fees must be paid at the time of filing the application. Fees can be paid by cash, cheque or money order from the organization's lottery trust account. Cheques must be made payable to the City of Hamilton.
What types/value of prizes can be awarded?
Under a bazaar licence, there are maximum prize boards for both raffles and bingos, set at $500. There is no maximum prize board for Wheels of Fortune as prizes are determined by the amount of the wager (bet minimum $0.50, maximum $2).
Does my organization require a separate bank account for Lottery Funds?
Any organization that is licensed to conduct a lottery event is required to open and maintain a separate designated lottery trust account to administer all funds related to the conduct of the lottery event. The designated lottery account shall:
Monies raised through lottery schemes cannot be transferred from the lottery trust account to an organization’s general or operating account, and vice versa.
- be maintained in the name of the organization, in trust
- have cheque writing privileges
- have monthly bank statements issued
- have cheques returned to the organization with the monthly bank statement
- a minimum of two signing officers who are bona fide members of the organization to administer the account and write cheques (all cheques must have two signatures)
- have all funds derived from lottery events deposited
- have all withdrawals made by cheque. Cheques may only be written from this account for the payment of the expenses incurred in the conduct of the lottery and for the eligible uses approved by the licensing officer submitted on the organization’s application
Where can I get Lottery Forms?
Lottery Forms can be obtained Monday to Friday (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) at any of the Municipal Centres. All lottery licence applications will be processed by the Lottery Licensing Section, City Centre, 77 James Street North, Suite 250 Hamilton. It is the responsibility of the organization licensed to conduct the Raffle Lottery to comply with all Terms and Conditions.
Personal information on the application form is collected under the authority of City of Hamilton Lottery Licensing By-law 04-134, and the Order-in-Council 2688/93. The personal information will be used to contact members of your charity and to help ensure compliance with the Terms and Conditions of lottery licenses.
*Please Note: Documents are provided in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. If you do not already have the Acrobat Reader installed, please visit the Adobe Web Site and download this free reader application. If you are experiencing difficulty opening the PDF files, right click on the linked text and select open in new window.
| Contact Information |
|Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:00pm|
905-546-2424 Ext. 2742
905-546-2424 Ext. 3994