City of Hamilton - Planning & Economic Development
Municipal Law Enforcement (MLE)
Education and awareness are important, by understanding by-laws property owners and occupants (tenants) will know their responsibilities and can avoid consequences for by-law violations. Municipal Law Enforcement (MLE) Officers enforce by-laws by investigating to determine if there is a violation(s) and will take the necessary measures to ensure the violation(s) is corrected (compliance obtained).
As part of our enforcement strategies Municipal Law Enforcement (MLE) may offer property owners and/or occupants the opportunity to participate in a free mediation service. The mediation service operates independently of the MLE Section providing a community mediator who will work with participants to try to resolve some or all of the issues. We believe that an open, non-threatening discussion will assist in resolving matters and help to improve the quality of life in neighbourhoods.
MLE Officers work in teams responding to complaints and conducting proactive investigations. Below are the enforcement teams and some of the more common by-laws they enforce.
- Yard Maintenance By-law 10-118: addresses exterior property maintenance
- Long grass and weeds (do not exceed 20cm or 8 inches in height
- Garbage and debris
- Dog feces (accumulation in yards)
- Inoperative vehicle (unable to operate, does not have a current permit)
- illegal dumping
- Snow and Ice Removal By-law 03-296
- Removal of snow and ice off sidewalks surrounding properties within 24 hours of a snow event
- Removal of snow and ice that builds up on roofs/eaves that overhang the city sidewalk
- Place or throw snow and ice on the road or boulevard is a violation
- Trees on Public Property By-law 06-151
- Trees on Private Property (Ancaster, Dundas, Stoney Creek)
- Woodlands Consrevation Regional By-law R00-054
Licensing and Permits
- Business and Establishment Licences
- Eating Establishments, Food Shops
- Refreshment Vehicles
- Mobile (taxi cab, transient trader)
- Public Garage
- Places of Amusement (arcades, rides, carnivals, bingo etc)
- Skilled Trade (plumber, building repairs, heating, ventilation, fire and sprinkler protection and air conditioning)
- Miscellaneous (flea market, pet shops, pawnbrokers, salvage yards etc)
- Lottery Licences
- Break Open Tickets, 50/50, Raffles
- Signs By-law and Issuance of Sign Permits
- Sign By-law (Brochure)
- Sign and Poster Kiosk Information
Property Standards and Zoning
- Property Standards By-law 10-221: addresses health and safety standards for a building and the land around the property.
- Plumbing, Electrical
- Stairs, Floors, Walls, Roofs
- Doors, Windows
- Fences, Retaining Walls, Barriers
- Garages, Sheds
- Fence By-law 10-142: addresses allowed heights, locations, materials etc.
- Zoning By-law 05-200: addresses legal usage of land (residential, industrial, commercial)
- Noise By-law 11-285 (including barking dogs)
- Heat By-law 04-091 (temperatures are to be no less than 20ºC between September 1st and May 31st)
- Public Nuisance By-law 09-110: addresses urinating in public, knocking over mail, newspaper boxes and waste containers.
- A team of Officers doing proactive investigations for Yard Maintenance, Property Standards and Zoning By-laws in wards 1 - 8.
Contact Information: Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
77 James Street North (Main Floor, Suite #250)
Things You Need to Know:
Most Requested Information: