City of Hamilton - Planning & Economic Development
Driveways and Approaches
The City of Hamilton Municipal Parking System administers parking solutions for Residential and Commercial Boulevard Parking for property owners with limited space for parking, and Residential Driveway Access Permits to allow residents to park on their own property.
|If Scenario "A" applies to you then you need a
Driveway Access Permit
||If Scenario "B" applies to you then you need a |
Residential Boulevard Parking Agreement
- Residential Driveway Access Permits allow property owners to establish new or modify existing driveway approach or culvert entrances.
- Commercial Boulevard parking allows property owners in areas designated as commercial, institutional, industrial or multiple residential to enter into an Agreement to use a portion of the City road allowance for parking.
- Residential Boulevard parking, also known as front yard parking, allows residents of one, two and three-family dwellings to establish parking spaces in their front, side or rear yards, either partially or entirely on City road allowance.
Residential Driveway Access Permit
The Residential Driveway Access Permit Program allows property owners to establish a new or modify an existing driveway approach or culvert entrance so residents can park on their own property.
|Please contact the Driveway Investigator at 905-546-2424, ext. 4578 or email at email@example.com to confirm if permission or an application is required to:
- Build a driveway on your property
- Install a new driveway or culvert entrance
- Widen an existing driveway or culvert entrance
|If Scenario "A" applies to you then you need a|
Driveway Access Permit
Other Information You Should Know
The application processing fee for a Residential Driveway Access Permit effective January 1, 2013 is $71.61 (rate subject to change).
Parking on or over sidewalks or on a boulevard between the sidewalk and roadway is not permitted.
Vehicles must be parked on an approved surface such as concrete, asphalt or gravel. It is a violation to park a vehicle on the front lawn. Vehicles should be parked on a driveway or on the street where permitted.
The installation of a driveway or driveway extension will not be approved if the proposed driveway is under the canopy (branches) of a City tree.
Putting asphalt on the road to create or extend a driveway approach ramp, or putting any material on the roadway without authorization from the City, is deemed to be obstructing, encumbering or fouling the highway and, therefore, contravenes the City of Hamilton Streets By-law. Anyone found guilty of an offence under this by-law is subject to a penalty of up to $5,000 and is liable for all costs for removing the obstruction or encumbrance.
If water is running from your neighbour's driveway onto your property or your neighbour is building their driveway on your property, you may contact the Building Services Division at 905-546-2424, ext. 2720 for information. Driveway disputes may be a private/civil matter.
Once you receive approval from the City’s Driveway Investigator, the Public Works Roads District staff for your area will contact you to provide you with a quote to install a concrete driveway approach or culvert entrance. They will also inform you if they will do the installation themselves, or provide you a list of authorized bonded contractors that you can contact.
Driveway Approach Widths:
The City of Hamilton has a 50% Green Space By-law and, therefore, you cannot pave your entire front yard. For information, contact the Building Services Division at 905-546-2424, ext. 2720.
- Single vehicle driveway approaches are 4 metres (13 ft.) wide.
- Multiple vehicle driveway approaches can be up to 8 metres (27 ft.) wide.
- The standard width of a culvert platform entrance (not the pipe) is 6 metres (20 ft.) for residential properties.
- Your driveway must be .91 metres (3 ft.) away from a fire hydrant or hydro pole.
| Contact Information |
|Monday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm|
80 Main Street West
(entrance on Summers Lane)
Phone: (905) 540-6000
| Online Services |