City of Hamilton Tropical House
A walk through the Tropical Greenhouse takes the visitor through a diverse world of verdant plants, trailing vines and colourful bulbs. The greenhouse is part of the Horticultural facility in beautiful Gage Park off Gage Avenue and Lawrence Road.
Tropical Greenhouse located at Gage Park
Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Saturday – Sunday 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
The Tropical House is CLOSED from Christmas to New Year's Day.
Location: Enter the Gage Park parking lot off Lawrence Road, just east of Gage Avenue South. Take the pathway at the north side of the parking lot to the Horticulture Depot.
Wheelchair Accessible & Free Parking
Visit www.hamiltonmumshow.com for further details about the Tropical House and the Hamilton Fall Garden & Mum Show
With just over 6,000sq ft (557 m2) of display area, the greenhouse features a meandering flagstone path running beside fish filled ponds, and tropical borders culminating in a spectacular waterfall. The ponds are filled with Shubunkin and Golden Orfe fish. Lush, exotic plants, water lilies and lotus add to the beauty of the greenhouse.
There are four Red-eared Slider turtles that live in a custom built pond adjacent to the waterfall.
Through a partnership with the Friends of the Aviary, several species of birds are also on display.
If you have been here in the past - come back and take another look at the extensive renovations that have been underway.
We have brought in many new flowering plants, enlarged the waterfall, introduced seasonal displays and have plans for further improvements.
Spring Tide - Bulb Show
Gage Park Tropical Greenhouse
March 8th - March 17th, 2013
Open daily 8:00am - 3:00pm
Click here to view more of our Tropical Greenhouse!
Book Your Wedding Photographs
Looking for a great location to have your wedding or family pictures taken? The Gage Park Tropical House is perfect!
The warm, lush and green back drop of tropical plants and waterfalls are ideal for the perfect photo.
The Tropical House is available by appointment for family and wedding photographs.
Enjoy the beauty and warmth of the Tropical House in the winter and throughout the year. Don't worry about the weather outside...it is always tropical inside!
Please contact: 905-546-2424 X 7598 for further details
*The Tropical House will be unavailable for bookings from mid October until early November due to preparations for the Chrysanthemum Show.
Gage Park Rose Garden
Take some time to smell the roses. The beautiful Rose Garden located in the centre of Gage Park is filled with 16 hybrid tea varieties and 14 climbing roses.
The colour range includes red, pink, yellow, white and peach.
The Rose Garden is in full bloom mid summer with varieties such as 'Mr. Lincoln', 'Tropicana' and 'Out of Africa'. The fragrances of all the roses are to be enjoyed.
The New Green House Facility
The new Greenhouse Facility was completed in late September 2011, just in time for the Hamilton Fall Garden & Chrysanthemum Show. The new facility has a growing area of 18,720 sq.ft. The new Greenhouse Facility will host the annual Mum Show allowing us to create a bigger & better show. We are looking forward to the future!
The Greenhouse is used year round and allows our Horticulture Section to grow the plant material required for our flowering traffic islands, park displays and many flower features at civic facilities such as Gage Park, Sam Lawrence Park and City Hall.
Here is some of the new and fascinating technology that the Greenhouse features:
- 3456 sq. ft High Pressure Sodium grow lights to increase light wavelengths during the winter periods of low light to optimize plant growth during these periods and to alter day length to manipulate vegetative and reproductive growth as needed, specifically with the Chrysanthemums.
- Argus fully automated greenhouse environmental controls featuring real time equipment controls, monitoring, alarms, data recording and graphical analysis. The systems also provides the ability to make changes to the environmental systems via off-site computer if issues arise during non-working hours
- roof venting system that opens fully to 90 degrees allowing the entire greenhouse to act as a cold frame during the transitional seasons. This allows for plants to be hardened off properly for planting outdoors after being grown within the perfect greenhouse environment.
- high efficiency condensating boilers to improve energy conservation
- in floor heating providing the best conditions for plants by giving heat to the roots where they need it and reducing the call on the boilers
- shade curtains cut heat loss through the roof and decreases the high light intensity during the summer. Also provide a measure of energy conservation
How to Get to the Tropical House:
In Hamilton: Follow Gage Avenue, south of Main Street East, to Lawrence Road, and enter the park at the Roselawn Lawn Bowling Club.
From Niagara/Buffalo: Take the QEW to Centennial Parkway, exit south to King Street East, travel west to Lawrence Road and continue west to Gage Park.
From Toronto: Take the QEW to the 403 and exit at Main Street East. Continue east to Gage Avenue and then south to Lawrence Road to the parking lot entrance.
From Guelph: Take Highway 6 to the 403 and exit at Main Street East. Continue east to Gage Avenue and then south to Lawrence Road to the parking lot entrance.
From Kitchener/London: Take the 403 eastbound and exit at Main Street East. Continue east to Gage Avenue and then south to Lawrence Road to the parking lot entrance