We are here to help! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions about the nomination process or would like to get involved with the Arts Awards.
Arts, Events and Grants Section, Tourism and Culture Division
(905) 546-2424 extension 4514
The Lister Block
28 James St N, 2nd floor
Monday through Friday
9:00am to 4:30pm
Join the conversation
Visit us on Facebook or Twitter for program news and updates! Sign up for our email list by sending an email to
The City of Hamilton values your privacy and will not share or distribute your personal information without your expressed consent.
The City of Hamilton Arts Awards is one of the oldest municipal-led arts awards programs in Canada. The Arts Awards celebrates Hamilton’s vibrant arts community and recognizes the many individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to arts and culture in our community.
2015 Nominations Now Open!
Nomination forms for the 2015 City of Hamilton Arts Awards are now available. Community members can nominate an artist in any of the following 11 categories. In each category, one Established and one Emerging artist will be awarded (with exception of Lifetime Achievement).
- Arts Administration
- Arts Education
- Community Arts
- Fine Craft
- Media Arts
- Visual Arts
- Lifetime Achievement
Mark your calendars! Nominations are due by Friday, February 6, 2015 at 4 pm. Please read through the nomination form carefully for eligibility criteria and guidelines.
Download the nomination form (PDF)
Print copies may also be picked up from the Tourism Hamilton Visitors Centre (28 James Street North, Hamilton).
Established Artist and Lifetime Achievement Award recipients, selected by a jury, will receive:
- Arts Awards bronze commemorative medal designed by artist Dora de Pédery-Hunt
- Civic and Media Recognition
Emerging Artist Award recipients, selected by the Established Artist recipient in each category, will receive:
- Certificate of Recognition
- Civic and Media Recognition
What's New in 2015
Based on feedback from program participants and the public, we have made some changes to the nominations process for 2015! Most importantly, we have changed the weighting of the scoring criteria for Established Artists to put more emphasis on their artistic work. We heard from the arts community that, while career development and community engagement are important, it is the artist’s work that should count for the most in assessing nominations. See page 6 of the nomination package for more detail about how nominations are scored.
Other things to note include:
- Any materials submitted outside those requested in the nomination form will be discarded to ensure a fair and transparent jury process for all nominees.
- Nominees in the Arts Administration, Arts Education and Community Arts categories are now required to submit 3 pieces of visual documentation to support their Project Description.
- Only two Letters of Reference are required for Established Artist nominations, of which one may be written by the nominator. Letters written within the past 2 years may be resubmitted provided they pertain to the City of Hamilton Arts Awards and the category of the nomination.
- Nomination of an Emerging Artist by the Established Artist nominee is mandatory; nominations that do not include an Emerging Artist nominee will be disqualified. See page 9 of the nomination form for more information about selecting an emerging artist nominee.
- Emerging Artist nominees must provide a one-page Curriculum Vitae and 3 images that best represent the nominee’s work to support their nomination. These materials are for recognition purposes only, and will not be adjudicated.
- All nominees must have lived in Hamilton for at least two consecutive years at the time of nomination.
Download the list of past City of Hamilton Arts Awards Recipients (PDF).
Frequently Asked Questions about the nomination process (PDF)
Arts Awards information available in multiple languages
Support the Arts Awards
The City of Hamilton Arts Awards provides various opportunities to show support for our arts community through both cash and in-kind sponsorships of the program. For more information on how to get involved as a sponsor, please contact Bridget MacIntosh at 905-546-2424 x 4514.