Hamilton Civic Events
Dieppe Veterans Memorial Service
Tuesday August 19, 11 a.m.
Photo of Dieppe Veterans Memorial courtesy of Ontario War Memorials
Dieppe Veterans Memorial Service will take place Tuesday August 19 at 11 a.m. at the Cenotaph at Dieppe Veterans Memorial Park. This memorial service respectfully honour those soldiers who fought in the Raid on Dieppe in 1942.
Fifty-Ninth Annual East Hamilton Memorial Decoration Day Service
Sunday August 24, 2014, 1 p.m.
The Fifty-Ninth Annual East Hamilton Memorial Decoration Day Service will be held on Sunday August 24, 2014 at 1 p.m. The outdoor event will take place at Eastlawn Cemetery, 2280 Barton Street East, Hamilton. Decoration Day is a Canadian tradition that began in Hamilton and the Niagara Peninsula as a way to mark the sacrifice of those members of the Canadian Militia killed during the Battle of Ridgeway during the Fenian Raids of 1866.
Visit these websites for event listings:
Events Contact Information
28 James St. N. 2nd floor
Hamilton, Ontario (Lister Block, 2nd floor)
City of Hamilton
Planning and Economic Development Department
Tourism & Culture Division
P. O. Box 2040
Hamilton, ON L8P 4Y5
The City of Hamilton (Creative Industries Section) is a proud member of Festivals & Events Ontario.
Follow us on Twitter @FEOntario
The City of Hamilton (Civic Museums Section) is a proud member of Attractions Ontario.
Follow us on Twitter @AttractionsOnt
Special Occasion Permit (SOP) or Temporary Liquor License Extension
Vist Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) to get applications and remember to note deadlines to avoid disappointment.
If your event:
- includes alcohol and
- is taking place outdoors on CITY PROPERTY
you may be required to submit a SPECIAL EVENTS ADVISORY TEAM (SEAT) application for your event to be approved.
You will also need to adhere to the City of Hamilton's Municipal Alcohol Policy.
Please be aware of the City's deadlines pertaining to SEAT.
For more information please visit www.hamilton.ca/municipal-alcohol-policy
Event suppliers looking for Hamilton area festivals
The City of Hamilton does not hire performers or vendors for Hamilton area events.
Please contact events directly for information on performing or vending opportunities.
Street Performance ("Busking")- Policy & Guidelines
Here is an excerpt from the City of Hamilton Street Performance Policy & Guidelines. See Appendix A.
- Performances are allowed in outdoor public places in Hamilton except where the space has been permitted for a specific time and use. Outdoor public spaces include but are not limited to sidewalks, courtyards, squares, exteriors of buildings etc ;
- Performances are allowed in public parks during regular park hours only except when the park, or a portion thereof, has been permitted for a specific time and use;
- Busking is prohibited on private property without permission of the property owner;
- Busking is prohibited at transit stops, in transit vehicles, or near public toilet facilities; and,
- Buskers must not unreasonably interfere with pedestrian or vehicular traffic flow nor encourage audience formation in such a manner as to cause such interference.
- Maximum performance time is three hours per busking location;
- Only battery operated amplification may be used;
- No high risk or unsafe performances, dangerous materials or dangerous implements which may put the performer or audience at risk (e.g. no knives, swords, chainsaws, fire or flammable liquids); and,
- Consideration must be given for other acts performing in close proximity.
- Buskers may receive monetary appreciation volunteered by an audience for their performance but may not solicit funds; and,
- Buskers require a business license to offer goods for sale.
- Performers must comply with all other statutory requirements, rules, regulation and bylaws of the City and/or other authority;
- Public Space, which is being permitted by the City for a specific use and time, may not be used for busking during the period of the permit; and,
- Performers must immediately cease any activity and remove any performance equipment or materials at the request of a Hamilton Police Service Police Officer or any person designated by the City for reasons of public safety.
- Audience members are encouraged to provide donations for performances they enjoy; and,
- Effort should be made to address concerns and complaints with the performer prior to seeking involvement of Hamilton Police Service.
- Street performers, or buskers, are not contracted entertainers nor are they licensed as performers by the City of Hamilton.
- Festival and event organizers, having secured a permit for use of a specific public space, may implement additional or different guidelines within the parameters of the permitted occasion (e.g. may require auditions, or identify specific locations for busking activity).
On December 14th, 2011 City Council approved the City of Hamilton Street Performance Policy & Guidelines. Download the staff report (PDF). The policy is attached to this document as "Appendix A".