REQUIREMENTS UPON HIRE
MANDATORY ORIENTATION SESSIONS - RETURNING AND NEW HIRES
Upon hire, you will be notified of the date, time and location of the mandatory orientation session. If you DO NOT ATTEND the mandatory orientation session, you will FORFEIT your summer student position.
HANDOUTS REQUIRED TO REVIEW PRIOR TO ATTENDING THE SUMMER STUDENT ORIENTATION SESSIONS
It is your responsibility to read through the material listed below prior to your orientation session. Be sure to make notation of any questions you may have as you will be given the opportunity to ask your questions at the session.
It Starts With You – Creating & Maintaining a Respectful and Supportive Workplace
Corporate Health, Safety and Wellness Program
Code of Conduct for Employees Policy
Employees Holding More Than One Part Time Position Procedure
My HR Info Quick Reference Guide
Computer and Technology Acceptable Use Policy
Summary of Employee Responsibilities in Corporate Procedures
Direct Deposit Information
REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION YOU NEED TO BRING WITH YOU ON THE DAY OF YOUR SUMMER STUDENT ORIENTATION SESSION
If you are rehired as a returning summer student or hired as a new summer student, you will be required to have the following documentation with you when completing the necessary payroll forms. If you are missing any piece, there will be a delay in your first pay.
- Proof of full time study enrolment in a secondary or post-secondary education institution or institution of higher learning. See below for Acceptable pieces of Student Identification.
- Cheque marked “VOID” or a Direct Deposit form completed by your financial institution
- Valid Social Insurance Card
- Position specific documentation, such as driver’s license, first aide certificate, etc. These requirements will be noted clearly in the job category and/or brought to your attention at time of interview.
- Criminal Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening) for positions requiring a check. This requirement will be noted clearly in the job category and/or will be brought to your attention at time of interview.
ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTATION AND PERTINENT INFORMATION
Current Student Identification
Returning summer students click here for acceptable pieces of Student Identification.
New Hire summer students click here for acceptable pieces of Student Identification.
This information can be found on a cheque. If you do not have a cheque, please contact your bank for the information stated above. This information cannot be found on your banking card and cannot always be found in your bank book.
Social Insurance Card
Due to requirements set by Service Canada, you must present the actual card. Please ensure you bring your Social Insurance Card when completing the payroll forms. If you have misplaced your card, please contact your nearest Employment Office immediately for a replacement card. If the replacement card will not be ready in time for the orientation, we will accept the receipt from the Employment Office.
Criminal Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening)
For positions requiring a Criminal Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector Screening), you will need to provide a current check (original). This is done at your own expense prior to beginning work Note: for information on checks please visit the Hamilton Police Services.
- As some positions require you to drive City vehicles, you must have a current Class G licence, free of demerit points. Students holding a Class G1 or G2 will not be permitted to drive City vehicles. If you are called to attend an interview, please bring with you your driver's licence, as you will be asked to complete a consent form granting the City of Hamilton permission to collect Driver's Abstract Information. The collection of this information will only be done in the event that you are hired into a driving position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
If you are rehired as a returning summer student or hired as a new summer student, you will be expected to meet and agree to the following conditions of employment. You will be asked to sign off on the following conditions of employment confirming that you meet and agree to all. This will be done when completing the necessary payroll forms.
I understand that there is a maximum of four summer student terms with the City of Hamilton when in a General Labourer or Administrative/Office position. A summer student position in Recreation (Summer Supervisors including Camp Site, Inclusion and Supie; Counsellors including Camp and Inclusion; Supies; Wading Pool Attendants and Change Room Attendants) is unlimited, providing all criteria are met and that I am full-time student. I also understand that a partial summer student term will constitute as a full summer work term and will be counted as a full summer term.
I understand that if I am being hired in the capacity of a “Special Project Summer Student” I will not be considered a returning summer student for the 2015 summer recruitment. If I am interested in summer employment in 2015, I will have to apply as a New Summer Student and will once again be considered a new applicant for this recruitment.
I understand that at time of full time hire, and in accordance with the Employees Holding More Than One Position Policy, I am not permitted to hold more than one job with the City of Hamilton at any point in time.
In the event I accept a position that permits me to drive a City of Hamilton vehicle, I will be required to submit a copy of my Driver’s License, Current Drivers Abstract and sign a City of Hamilton Vehicle Usage Agreement. To be accepted into one of these positions, I must be a minimum of 19 years of age and possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License, Class G driver’s licence, free of demerit points. Failure to maintain a clean driving record will affect continued employment in the work area.
Return to Top