|City of Hamilton – Public Works
Here are a few tips that will make your Team Up to Clean Up event safe and successful.
When determining your clean-up project, be sure to keep safety in mind for each of your volunteers. Participants are encouraged to avoid clean up activities near busy streets, streams, waterfalls and bodies of water. If you plan to clean up private property (such as an empty lot or parking lot), seek permission from the owner.
Visit the clean-up site ahead of time to assess for possible hazards.
Arrange for enough adult supervision.
- Register your event to be eligible for special Clean & Green bags, recycling bags, graffiti wipes and work gloves (subject to availability). Register on-line or by calling 905-546-CITY (2489).
Pick up your supplies from the location you requested when you registered your event at least two days before your event during office hours.
Make sure participants are not in unsafe situations.
- The clean up coordinator should wear a bright safety vest or bright clothing.
Work in pairs or small groups of 4 or 5 people. Each group should work on filling one bag at a time.
Each person should wear work gloves and closed toe shoes.
- Have young participants ask an adult first if they are unsure about picking up an item (see "Don't touch!").
- Remind participants to wash hands before eating and at the end of the day.
- Sunscreen and insect repellent are good items to keep on hand.
- Drink water and keep hydrated.
- We encourage you to separate and recycle where possible. Recyclable containers should be collected in a clear plastic bag or Blue Box and placed at the curb on your regular waste collection day.
- Please remind participants to pick up visible litter only. Discarded bulk items (tires, couches, shopping carts) should be reported to 905 546-CITY (2489) as illegal dumping.
- Graffiti wipes are available to wipe off tags from smooth surfaces. If the graffiti is large, not easily accessible, or on a surface that will require other tools or removal products, please report it using the on-line graffiti form or call 905 546-CITY (2489).
Collect gloves to wash and reuse for your next Team Up to Clean Up event.
Thank everyone for participating in the clean up.
Remind them that we should be conscious of and contributing to keeping our community clean and green all year round.
Remember to report the number of bags of litter and recyclables your group collected and the number of graffiti tags cleaned.
REMEMBER TO STAY SAFE AND HAVE FUN!
More safety tips ... during your event
... pick up any hazardous litter.
... touch discarded needles, broken glass or other sharp objects.
... go into wooded areas without proper supervision.
... go near deep or fast moving water.
... go into the street. Take care around parked cars and in parking lots.
... carry heavy objects.
Do not pick up anything that could be hazardous to your health. This includes needles, syringes, jagged glass, animal carcasses, urine bottles or heavy objects. If in doubt, flag it and call 905-546-CITY (2489).
Do not pick up airbrakes. They should not be moved.
A First Aid kit, sunscreen and insect repellant are good items to keep on hand.
Drink water and keep hydrated.