City of Hamilton
Neighbourhood Development Strategy
The City of Hamilton’s Neighbourhood Development Strategy is focused on helping neighbourhoods to be great places to live, work, play and learn. To do that, the City of Hamilton is working with community partners, neighbourhood groups and residents to develop action plans to build healthier communities. The core elements of this work are:
- Enhancing Community Development Work
Through a partnership with the Hamilton Community Foundation and Hamilton Best Start, five community development workers will work together to support residents in 11 Hamilton neighbourhoods.
- Developing Resident-led Neighbourhood Plans
The City of Hamilton will facilitate neighbourhood planning processes that focus on where residents and key stakeholders feel action is necessary. Staff from across various departments of the City of Hamilton will help residents build effective solutions.
- Increasing Investments in Neighbourhoods
Once neighbourhood plans are developed, new investments will be required to address the improvement that residents have identified. Hamilton City Council has earmarked $2 million in neighbourhood funding to help leverage additional investments from private, public and philanthropic sources.
- Building New Partnerships to Support Healthy Neighbourhoods
Working with businesses, Provincial and Federal governments and non-profit organizations, work will begin to better align existing resources and find new investments that can support neighbourhoods.
Neighbourhood Action PlanningCity staff, residents and other key stakeholders are working together to create neighbourhood action plans that communicate a clear vision for the future of the neighbourhood and describe specific projects that can be implemented, are achievable, and have widespread community support. These plans are being developed in 6 neighbourhoods identified by Council as priority areas, as well as 5 other areas that have been supported in the past by the Hamilton Community Foundation's neighbourhood investments.
View the Neighbourhood Profiles report for more information about these neighbourhoods.
Watch the Neighbourhood Development Strategy video on the Inside City of Hamilton YouTube channel.
Community Development WorkersAs an on-going support to residents, businesses and organizations in neighbourhoods, community development workers help connect people to their neighbourhood and help neighbourhoods plan for their future development. Our current team of community development workers are:
Neighbourhood Development Office
- Paul Johnson - Director of Neighbourhood Development Strategies
- Suzanne Brown - Manager of Neighbourhood Development Strategies
- Colin McMullan – Research and Evaluation
- Ann Lamanes – Communications
- Michael Kirkopoulos – Communications
Everyone Can Get Involved In Building Great Neighbourhoods!
The City of Hamilton is encouraging all residents to work together and build great neighbourhoods. The Neighbourhood Development Office is here to help all neighbourhoods and residents with the following resources:
- Tools to help with neighbourhood action planning
- Advice on neighbourhood action planning and engagement
- Connections to other neighbourhoods working on similar issues
- How you can help neighbourhoods implement their plans
- Assistance in connecting with the appropriate City departments/staff
Reports and Documents
Council & Committee Reports