|City of Hamilton
Hamilton Best Start - Parent & Family Literacy Centres
The City of Hamilton is a proud member of the Hamilton Best Start Network.
Best Start is about providing support to children aged 0 to 6 and their families. It's about parents, educators, healthcare professionals and community organizations working together to make Hamilton the best place to raise a child.
Literacy Centres are school-based programs for parents and their children aged birth to six that operate during the school day. The parent/caregiver stays with the child at all times.
These programs help to prepare children for school and encourage families to be part of their children's learning by:
- helping children build essential literacy and numeracy skills through stories, music, reading and playing
- encouraging families to engage in their children's learning
- offering a book lending library in different languages so parents can read to their children in their first language
- helping parents and children feel comfortable and familiar with school staff and school routines
- giving families the chance to spend time with other families
- linking families with appropriate community resources for special needs, health and other related services
- expanding the network of services already available to families in Hamilton by collaborating with local Ontario Early Years Centres, child care centres and other programs for families with young children
Program facilitators in the Parenting and Family Literacy Centres work as partners with kindergarten teachers and local community programs, collaborating to create a welcoming learning environment that helps prepare children for school.
Centres are FREE to attend and no preregistration is required. Parents and children are invited to come to the centre at any time during the scheduled hours. Hours may vary according to the needs of each community, so please contact the school to find out when each Parenting and Family Literacy Centre is open.