City of Hamilton
Participate in the casino / gaming facility consultation
In 2010, the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) initiated a process to identify ways to expand and modernize gaming across the Province of Ontario. At that time, OLG proposed that for any casino development, as part of the process and in order for the Province to proceed with the establishment of a casino, municipalities were required to obtain public input about the establishment of the proposed gaming site and to give the OLG, in writing, a description of the steps they took to do so and a summary of the public input that was received.
Furthermore, municipalities were told that they must also pass a resolution regarding the establishment of a gaming site. A deadline of March 1st has been set by the OLG for the City of Hamilton to provide its position as approved by City Council.
|Public Information Forums|
The City of Hamilton, as directed by the Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee, hosted two Information Forums in January. The Information Forums were an opportunity to educate the public, provide information and to hear the public's views and opinions on a potential new full service casino. These sessions also provided an opportunity for the public to share what they would like Council to consider when making a decision on the matter of a casino in the City of Hamilton.
The sessions were live streamed and links can be found below.
The Information Forums were held on:
Wednesday January 16th, 2013 Video Part 1 / Part 2
Waterdown District HIgh School
215 Parkside Drive, Flamborough
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m
Cogeco 23 televised
Transcription of presentations held at Janaury 16th Casino Information Forum
Thursday January 17th, 2013 Video Part 1 / Part 2
Hamilton City Hall
71 Main St. West, Downtown Hamilton
6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m
Cable 14 televised
Transcription of presentations held at Janaury 17th Casino Information Forum
The Information Forums consisted of a panel of speakers who provide opening comments and perspectives, followed by a facilitated question and answer. The panel consisted of the following:
The City of Hamilton will also be conducting a scientific poll. The poll will be conducted by a research polling firm during the month of February.
|Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee|
In order to address the need for public consultation and to advise Hamilton City Council on the matters of a gaming/casino facility, a Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-committee was struck. The mandate of that committee is to:
- Consider conditions respecting Hamilton’s position relative to the Request for Proposal for the Establishment of a Gaming Facility to be issued by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation, and report back to the General Issues Committee, AND;
- To advise the General Issues Committee on matters related to gaming in Hamilton, including, but not limited to, legal issues, conditions the City would require from a proponent through the Request for Proposal (RFP) process, methods of obtaining public input, and any other relevant matters.
|Presentations and Correspondence|
- Letter from Matt Jelly (December 13, 2012 Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee)
- Letter from The Ancaster Ministerial Association (December 13, 2012 Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee)
- Board of Health Report (December 3, 2012) - Health and Social Impacts of Gambling (BOH12040)
- OLG Presentation to November 9, 2012 Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee
- Letter dated October 1, 2012 from Police Chief DeCaire (October 9, 2012 Gaming Facility Proposal Sub-Committee)
- Great Canadian Gaming Presentation to September 29, 2012 General Issues Committee
- Letter dated September 20, 2012 from OLG (September 26, 2012 Council)
- OLG Presentation to September 19, 2012 General Issues Committee
|For more information please contact|