The selection process for bus drivers has seven steps.
- Candidates information meeting
- Customer service, simulated driving and reading test
- Job shadowing bus rides
- Circuit interviews
- Hiring decisions
Each step is designed to measure your specific skills and/or abilities and to give you a better understanding of what it’s like to do the job. You must meet or exceed a standard for each step.
If you don’t meet the standard of a particular step:
- You will not go onto the next step, and will be out of the process.
- You will not be eligible to re-apply for a minimum of six months if you do not complete and pass all steps.
- You can only apply for this position twice in any five year period.
Only those candidates who successfully complete and show the greatest potential, during the selection process, will be offered positions.
Passing all of the selection process steps is not a guarantee of a job offer.
Who can apply
To become a bus driver for the City of Hamilton, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Have a valid Ontario class G driver’s licence or equivalent.
- Have a clear and point-free driving record for three years before applying and at the time of hire. You must provide a recent copy of a driver's abstract upon request. Driver abstracts cannot be older than 14 days.
- Demonstrate recent experience working with the public, normally acquired through substantial and direct customer service work that includes interpersonal communication, problem solving, and conflict resolution.
- Be able to work without supervision.
- Be capable of obtaining a class B Ontario driver’s license. In order to determine eligibility for a class B license, the City is required to review medical results and a criminal record, as per Reg. 462 of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act
- Date modified: