Apply for Child Care Subsidy

Holiday Closures
October 8, 2015 - 9:59am

Thanksgiving October 12, 2015 - What's Open and What's Closed?

All City of Hamilton administrative offices will be closed on Thanksgiving, Monday, October 12, 2015

For emergencies involving roads, water mains, sewer systems, public health and safety issues, please call 905-546-2489.

Green Cart, Recycling and Garbage Collection

  • There will be no green bin, blue box, bulk waste, yard waste, or garbage pick-up on Monday, October 12.
  • Pick up will be one day later than your regularly scheduled collection day.
  • Waste must be at the curb by 7 am.

To view your collection schedule, visit
Community Recycling Centres and Transfer Stations will be closed on Monday, October 12.

HSR Bus Schedules

  • The HSR will be operating on a Sunday/ Holiday Schedule on Monday, October 12.
  • Call HSR information at 905-527-4441 for more details.


  • DARTS will be operating holiday service hours on Monday, October 12. All subscription trips on DARTS, with the exception of dialysis, are cancelled for Monday, October 12. If passengers need to travel on this day, they must make an advance reservation to do so.
  • ATS customer service will be closed on Monday, October 12.


  • All recreation/ aquatic centres, arenas and seniors centres will be closed on Monday, October 12.

Hamilton Civic Museums

  • Dundurn National Historic Site, Whitehern Historic House & Garden, Battlefield House Museum & Park, Hamilton Museum of Steam & Technology, The Hamilton Military Museum, Fieldcote Museum and Griffin House will be closed, Monday, October 12.
  • The Hamilton Children’s Museum reamins temporarily closed for renovations.

For more information about Civic Museums, please visit

Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre

Tourism Hamilton Visitor Information Centre (Lister Building, 28 James St. N.) will be is open from 11 am to 3 pm on Monday, October 12.

Hamilton Farmer’s Market Hours

  • Sunday, October 11 - Closed
  • Monday, October 12 - Closed
  • Tuesday, October 13 - 8 am to 6 pm
  • Wednesday, October 14 - Closed
  • Thursday, October 15 - 8 am to 6 pm
  • Friday, October 16 - 8 am to 6 pm
  • Saturday, October 17 - 7 am to 5 pm

Hamilton Public Library

  • All branches of the Hamilton Public Library will be closed for Thanksgiving on Sunday, October 11 and Monday, October 12.
  • For more information on library hours, please visit:

Public Health Services

For Public Health matters concerning:

  • Reports of suspected reportable diseases and food poisoning, call 905-546-2063
  • Reports of environmental spills, fires or other events that may be a health hazard or safety issue, call 905-546-2489
  • Reports of rabies animal exposures, call 905-546-3500
  • Safe Water Program issues that may be a health hazard, call 905-546-2489 or visit

Ontario Works

  • All Ontario Works offices will be closed on Monday, October 12, and will reopen Tuesday, October 13 at 8:30 am.
  • The Employment Resource Centre located at 181 Main St. W (Career Development Centre) will be closed on Monday, October 12. It will be open to assist you with any employment service needs on Tuesday, October 13 at 8:30 am.

Animal Services

  • The Animal Services Shelter will be closed on Monday, October 12.
  • For 24-hour Animal Services emergency issues, please call: 905-574-3433.

Property Tax Payments

  • During the holiday, you may submit your property tax payment into a drop box at the rear doors of City Hall, 71 Main Street West or at one of our Municipal Service Centres.
  • All Municipal Service Centres will be closed on Monday, October 12, and will reopen on Tuesday, October 13.

The locations are:

  • Ancaster: 300 Wilson Street East (map)
  • Dundas: 60 Main St. (map)
  • Flamborough: 7 Innovation Drive, First floor (map) New - temporary location
  • Glanbrook: 4280 Binbrook Rd. (map)
  • Stoney Creek: 777 Hwy. 8 (map)

Payments may also be made anytime by mail to:

The City of Hamilton
c/o Tax Department
71 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5

Parking Violations

Online payments can be made at:

Payment of Parking Violations can be made by mail to the pre-printed address indicated on the parking tag or dropped off into the drop box at the nearest Municipal Service Centre (see addresses above) or Taxation Division (noted above). The Hamilton Municipal Parking System office at 80 Main St. West, at Summers Lane, also accepts payments for parking violations at its drop box.

Traffic Violations

Online payments can be made anytime at:

The Provincial Offences Administration Office at 45 Main St. East, 4th Floor, Suite 408 (John Sopinka) Court House will be closed on Monday, October 12.

Financial assistance is available to eligible families who need child care for children ages 0-12 years. If you are eligible for fee subsidy, you may only have to pay a percentage of your total child care costs. This is dependant on your individual financial circumstances.

Before you apply, be prepared. You will need the following:

  • Registered with OneHSN - Centralized Child Care Registry
  • Proof of your current address
  • Proof of your reason for needing childcare 
  • Proof of family income. You must have filed your 2013 taxes to be eligible for 2015.
  • Proof of status in Canada for each family member
  • Canadian Child Tax Benefit (CCTB) statement, OR
  • Ontario Child Benefit Notice (OCB), OR
  • Federal Income Tax Notice of Assessment (NOA) for both applicants.
  • Families with children under the age of 6 should also send in their Universal Child Care Benefit Statement (Form RC62)

If you are missing this information, call Canada Revenue Agency. For your Notice of Assessment, call 1-800-959-8281. For your CCTB statement, call 1-800-387-1193. If you are receiving OW or ODSP, your worker will be able to determine your income through your OW or ODSP file.

Ready to apply?

Choose one of the following methods to apply:

  • Download and complete the Child Care Fee Subsidy Application Form (PDF, 233 KB )
    Complete all sections of the application and return the signed form with all required documents to the Child Care Fee Subsidy Office (by mail, in person, by fax). Please see contact information below.
  • Call us at 905-546-4870 during regular office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm). 
    When you call, we will discuss your reasons for needing child care and your personal financial situation to determine if you may qualify for fee subsidy. If it appears you qualify for fee subsidy, we will set up an in-person appointment with you. You will need to bring the above documents and any other documents we request. You and a staff member will complete an application and confirm your eligibility. Depending on your circumstances, you may be placed on a waiting list.

If I am approved, what are the next steps?

Once you have completed an application and are approved to start child care, you will need to choose a child care arrangement that best suits your needs with a licensed child care centre or a licensed private home child care agency that has a subsidy agreement with the City of Hamilton.

Waiting list

At this time, the City of Hamilton has a waiting list for child care fee subsidy. Depending on your circumstances, you may be put onto this waiting list. The order of the waiting list is based on the priority of the individual based on a number of factors. Wait times will vary depending on your priority and available funding.

Learn more about the waiting list

What if I am not approved and I disagree with the decision of ineligibility?

Everyone has the right to appeal an ineligibility decision. Appeals must be submitted to the Child Care Fee Subsidy office in writing. Every written appeal will be considered and the original application will be reassessed. Any new information relevant to your situation may also be submitted to the Child Care Fee Subsidy office along with your appeal.All appeal decisions will be sent by mail to your home address.

Annual interview

If you are receiving child care fee subsidy, our staff will review your income information annually. If there are any changes in your circumstances throughout the year, you are also required to notify your case worker and depending on the changes, you may require a re-assessment. You must continue to file your income taxes annually in order to maintain your eligibility for child care fee subsidy.

What if my circumstances change?

If at anytime your situation changes, such as moving to a new address, change in marital status, a significant change in income and/or your reason for receiving child care fee subsidy, you must contact your subsidy eligibility worker to let them know.

Contact Information




Office Location  
Child Care Subsidy 
Lister Block Building 
28 James Street North, 6th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario  L8R 2K1

Mailing Address
City of Hamilton – Community Services
Child Care Subsidy
Lister Block Building, 6th Floor
P.O. Box 2040, Hamilton, Ontario  L8P 4Y5