Community & Emergency Services Winter 2015 Newsletter - News from Ontario Works
Important Holiday Notices
OW Office Hours
- All Ontario Works offices will be closed Friday, December 25, 2015 until Friday January 1, 2016.
- Offices will reopen on Monday, January 4, 2016.
Emergency phone lines will be monitored for emergency situations only from 8:30 am to 12 noon on the following days:
- Tuesday, December 29
- Wednesday, December 30
- Thursday, December 31
The phone number to call for emergencies only during the closure is 905-546-3914. Please leave your name, phone number and brief description of your emergency.
January OW Payments
All approved cheques and direct deposits will be delivered or deposited on December 29, 30 and 31, 2015. January payments are dated for December 31, 2015.
Any questions concerning your January Ontario Works cheque should be directed to your case manager on Monday, January 4.
Emergency food banks open during Holiday closure:
- Neighbour to Neighbour: 905-574-1334
- St Matthews House: 905-523-5546
Emergency Fire victims can call Canadian Red Cross at 905-522-8485
New Ontario Electricity Support Program
If you are a customer of an electricity utility and in a low-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill through the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP).
Beginning in 2016, the OESP will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill. The amount of the credit you receive depends on two factors:
- How many people live in your home, and
- Your combined household income
Visit OntarioElectrictySupport.ca for an application form and further details
You can also phone the OESP Call Centre at 1-855-831-8151 to learn more.
If you have not filed an income tax return recently, or if your income has changed significantly since you last filed, you can apply for OESP through the Housing Help Centre or Neighbour to Neighbour Centre.
Housing Help Centre
119 Main Street East, Hamilton, ON
Neighbour to Neighbour Centre
28 Athens Street, Hamilton, ON
Emergency Repair Program
The City of Hamilton is launching an Emergency Repair program for OW and ODSP homeowners. For more information, visit www.hamilton.ca/housing or contact Marjorie Walker at email@example.com or by phone at 905-546-2424 Ext. 4837.
Looking for work?
Sometimes it’s about making the right connections!
Did you know that…
- There are nine Employment Centre locations in your community to help you find work or training.
- Help is available in many ways depending on what works best for you.
- In addition to individual assistance working with an Employment Counsellor, there are workshops and Resource Centres equipped to advance your job search success.
- Job Developers can help to match applicants who are eager to work with employers looking to hire.
- Work placements with wage subsidy may be what opens the door for you.
- Training opportunities include Second Career, Youth Job Connection, self-employment and information on many other opportunities.
Employment Ontario (EO) Employment Centres are here to help! No matter where you are at with your job search, connecting with an EO Employment Centre in your community opens more opportunities.
Get started by visiting a Centre to meet with staff and learn about your options. Then you decide what is best for you! Choose from any of these locations:
Collège Boréal Employment Options Emploi
2 Rue King O., Hamilton
67 & 77 Victoria Ave. S., Hamilton
Goodwill Career Centre
1050 Upper Gage St., Hamilton
Mohawk College Community Employment Services
- Fennell and West 5th Room J137, Hamilton
- 211 Centennial Pkwy. N., Hamilton
Wesley Employment Services
151 Queen St. N., Hamilton