City of Hamilton - Planning & Economic Development
The Building Inspections Section is responsible for all field inspection services delivered by the Building Division. Building Inspectors carry out inspections for a number of purposes, with the preservation of public health and safety being the principal mandate of the Section.
The Building Inspections Section responds to such matters as:
- Unsafe conditions, including vehicle impacts, fire damaged buildings and buildings/structures that pose an immediate danger to citizens
- Investigations pertaining to construction/demolition without a Building Permit,
- Investigations regarding unlicensed contractors, the Marijuana Grow-op By-law and contraventions of the Fortification By-law
- Mandatory Building Permit inspections
- Loan and grant applications
The Building Inspections Section carries out inspections in conjunction with Building Permits, and also responds to customer requests to determine if a permit is required. Building Inspectors assist homeowners and contractors in completing their projects in accordance with Building Code Regulations and applicable zoning requirements.
The Building Inspectors work closely with other regulatory bodies such as Fire Prevention Bureau, Health Department, Engineering Department and City of Hamilton Police Services to ensure that all applicable regulations and by-laws are adhered to.
Upon obtaining a Building Permit, the permit holder (either the contractor or property owner) is required to arrange inspections during the various phases of construction. Appointments can be made with the Building Inspector by phone for the following types of inspections:
- Exterior private building sewers and potable water supply
- Foundation drainage
- Structural framing
- Plumbing and building drains
- Insulation/vapour barriers/air barriers
- Fire places/wood burning stoves
- Septic systems
- Fire separation
- Fire alarms and fire protection systems
If any deviations from the Ontario Building Code or applicable municipal by-laws are observed, appropriate action will be taken by the inspection staff to gain compliance of any statutes within their jurisdiction. When voluntary compliance is not forthcoming, enforcement action, up to and including prosecution, is initiated.
Contact InformationMonday - Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
71 Main Street West (3rd Floor)
Things You Need to Know:
Most Requested Information: