Macassa Lodge is situated at 701 Upper Sherman Avenue on Hamilton’s east mountain. A 270 bed facility, we are a non-profit organization which is owned and operated by the City of Hamilton, under the Long Term Care Act. Capital funds are provided by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and the City; operating funds are provided by the Ministry, the City, and Residents' maintenance fees. We are a member of the Ontario Association of Non-Profit Homes and Services for Seniors. Macassa is proud to be accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
Twenty-four hour nursing supervision is provided with input from an interdisciplinary team which includes: medical, nursing, social work, recreation, therapy, volunteers, pastoral care and nutrition. Macassa Lodge believes in the philosophy of Person Centred Care. The multi-disciplinary team, including the resident and his/her family members, strives to support each individual's priorities.
Reasons to Choose Macassa Lodge
- Long tradition in the community in a well-established residential neighbourhood
- Beautiful grounds
- Free parking
- On a main bus route
- Quality care — Accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Services. Our facility has been Accredited since 1984.
- Not for profit
- Non- smoking facility
- Nurses and a Nurse Practitioner
- Social workers
- Admissions Counsellor
- Infection Control Practitioner
- Physio Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Therapeutic Recreationists
- Volunteer Co-ordinator with over 200 registered volunteers
- Healthy meals and nutritious snacks offered by our in-house Food Services Staff.
- Special diets to meet therapeutic needs
- Active Resident Food Council meets monthly
- 11 exclusive Resident Home Areas (RHA) with their own dining room, activity room, and lounge. Outdoor access from every unit – patio or balcony
- Small secure unit with enclosed courtyard for wandering residents
- Larger than required personal living spaces/rooms
- Valance heating/cooling, with climate control – draft free
- Central air – including rooms
- Accommodation is provided in private, semi-private and two-person ward rooms.
- Dedicated chapel with over 60 pastoral care volunteers
- Numerous lounges & communal spaces enhancing visiting
- In house laundry and housekeeping
- Fireplaces in lobby and 8 of the 11 dining rooms
- Tuck shop – large shop-in experience for residents & visitors
- SPCA & St. Johns’ Visiting Dogs
- Hair/Barber Salon
- In-house cable TV channel communicates daily menus and recreational activities and events.
- Active Resident Council and Family Council meet monthly
In our most recent Annual Resident Satisfaction Survey 96% of residents/families indicated that they would recommend Macassa Lodge to their families and friends.
Mission, Vision, Values
MISSION: For the benefit of adults requiring long term care and community based services, we provide care and accommodation in a not-for-profit organization in order to maximize their quality of life.
VISION: We are committed to our people, dedicated to building a strong & healthy community, passionate about making a difference by providing quality care, and recognized for our excellence.
Integrity: In all we do, we are honest, ethical and just.
Respect: We treat everyone, including ourselves, with dignity, fairness, consistency and consideration.
Courage: We have the conviction to take the risks to do the right thing, even when facing adversity.
Empathy: We care about others, what’s important to them and what shapes their lives.