Complain about a Barking Dog

Potential Postal Disruption

In the event of a postal disruption at Canada Post that may begin on or after October 22, 2018, we ask that citizens please make alternative arrangements to ensure the timely receipt of their payment to the City.

Payment options include:

Please note that late payment fees will not be waived in the event that the payment is not received on or before payment due date.

If you have any concerns, please free to call 905-574-3433 or contact us by email at

Animal Services Officers going door to door will be wearing uniforms and carrying City photo ID

Animal Services may be coming to your door!

Animal Services Licensing Officers are going door to door to educate dog owners on their responsibilities to purchase licences for their dogs.

These Officers will be in uniform and carrying City photo identification with them at all times.

Anyone may renew or purchase a licence at their door, online or in person at Hamilton Animal Services, Municipal Law Enforcement or Municipal Service Centre locations

It is a two step process to make a complaint about a barking dog:

Step One

  1. Call us at 905-546-2782 and select option 1
  2. Email us at or
  3. Complete the online complaint form

Step Two

Fill out a Noise Evaluation Package that we mail to you after you file a complaint. You must send this back so we can follow up on your complaint.

After you file a complaint

The first thing that we do when we receive a complaint about a barking dog is check our records to see if a dog licence  has been purchased for that address. If there is no licence on file, we send a dog licence application form to the property owner.

We also send a letter after you file a complaint telling the property owner that a complaint has been made. We will not tell the property owner your name.

An officer will be assigned to your complaint. The officer will review the Noise Evaluation Package. If the officer finds that an offence has happened, a ticket may be issued and court proceedings may begin.

Ticket fees

Initial ticket fee $200
Victim surcharge $35
Court costs $5