Free Running Areas are areas for you to exercise your dog off leash. They include parkland and public open spaces owned by the City of Hamilton.
Free running area locations
There are currently 4 free running areas in The City.
- Corporal Nathan Cirillo Leash Free Area (formerly Cinema Park)
Hamilton SPCA (Lower part of park)
245 Dartnall Road
Hours of operation: 6 am - 11 pm
Strachan Street (General Open Space)
134 Strachan Street East, between Mary Street and Ferguson Avenue North
Download the map of City of Hamilton Dog Parks (PDF, 763 KB)
Do you want a free running area in your neighbourhood?
If you want to apply for a free running area in your neighbourhood or community, you must submit a Free Running Area Application Form (PDF, 25 KB) and make sure the site meets the City of Hamilton’s criteria.
Criteria for new free running areas
The City will use the following criteria from the Leash Free Parks Policy (PDF, 283 KB) to decide if a proposed site is eligible for a free running area.
We will not allow exceptions to these criteria:
- Time and seasonality will limit the use of some sites, especially if the site is near a school board or where play equipment and or splash pads or wading pools are present.
- Sites must be at least one acre in size.
- Land is given as-is with no extra amenities. Only amenities found in a traditional park setting will be allowed. Dog park equipment will not be allowed in free running areas.
- Environmentally Significant Areas are not eligible to be a free running area.
- Sites surrounded by high traffic streets, main thoroughfares or highways will not be considered for free running areas, unless there are enough landscape and/or physical barriers to block access to the roadway.
- Free running areas are not allowed in park sites that have sports facilities.
- The City does not allow free running areas along trails.
There can only be one free running area per political ward. The City approves free running areas on an as-required or as-requested basis, subject to funding.
- Date modified: