What to do if you find a lost pet
Call Animal Services to report the animal 905-574-3433
- Report the animal even if it has an identification or licence tag, as it may be expired.
- You must notify Animal Services if you find a pet and are keeping it at your residence while you try to find its owner. The pet's owner might be searching for it at the shelter.
- Write out a complete description of the found animal before you contact the shelters; this helps ensure you won't forget any important details while filing your report.
- We can often reunite lost pets with their owners by matching a Lost Report with a Found Report.
Check with your neighbours
See if they are missing a pet.
Scan the animal for a microchip
The animal shelter or a veterinarian's office can scan the chip to help determine the owner.
What does the City do with found pets?
- We post found pets on our Found Pets Facebook page within a few hours of arriving at the shelter.
- We post deceased animals on our Found Pets Facebook page for up to 48 hours.
- We will keep found pets for 5 days.
- We house and care for found pets so the owner has time to claim them.
- We assess pets not claimed for 5 days for the adoption program, animal rescue or euthanasia.
- We check all animals, alive or deceased, for a microchip, tattoo or identification tag. We try to contact the owner using this information.
Follow us on Facebook to see the happy owners who were reunited with their animals this week.
- Date modified: