What to do if you find a lost pet
- Call the City of Hamilton Animal Services at 905-574-3433 if you find a dog or cat away from home. Report the animal even if it has an identification or licence tag, as it may be expired.
- Post a free Found Report on Helping Lost Pets.
- Check with your neighbours to see if they are missing a pet.
- File a Found Report with all animal shelters near where you found the animal.
- Post flyers in your neighbourhood and alert neighbours to help spread the word.
What does the City do with found pets?
- We post found pets on Helping Lost Pets within a few hours of arriving at the shelter.
- We post deceased animals on Helping Lost Pets for up to 48 hours.
- We check all animals, alive or deceased, for a microchip, tattoo or identification tag. We try to contact the owner using this information.
- We will keep found pets for three days.
- We house and care for found pets so the owner has time to claim them. We assess pets not claimed for three days for the adoption program, animal rescue or euthanasia.
If you have lost your pet, you can call us to ask if we have it. We can only check for animals with tags or microchips. We cannot confirm if we have an animal based on a visual description. You will need to come to the shelter to see if we have your pet.
Follow us on Facebook to see the happy owners who were reunited with their animals this week!
- Date modified: