What to do if you find a lost pet
Call Animal Services to report the animal 905-574-3433
- Report the animal even if it has an identification or licence tag, as it may be expired.
- You must notify Animal Services if you find a pet and are keeping it at your residence while you try to find its owner. The pet's owner might be searching for it at the shelter.
- Write out a complete description of the found animal before you contact the shelters; this helps ensure you won't forget any important details while filing your report.
- We can often reunite lost pets with their owners by matching a Lost Report with a Found Report.
Create a found pet report
Post a free found report on Helping Lost Pets as well as file a found report with all animal shelters near where you found the animal. Also consider posting found reports on Kijiji, Craigslist, Facebook and local newspapers.
Check with your neighbours
See if they are missing a pet.
Print found posters
Create a found poster or print it from Helping Lost Pets and distribute in the area.
Scan the animal for a microchip
The animal shelter or a veterinarian's office can scan the chip to help determine the owner.
What does the City do with found pets?
- We post found pets on Helping Lost Pets within a few hours of arriving at the shelter.
- We post deceased animals on Helping Lost Pets for up to 48 hours.
- We will keep found pets for three days.
- We house and care for found pets so the owner has time to claim them.
- We assess pets not claimed for three days for the adoption program, animal rescue or euthanasia.
- We check all animals, alive or deceased, for a microchip, tattoo or identification tag. We try to contact the owner using this information.
Follow us on Facebook to see the happy owners who were reunited with their animals this week.
- Date modified: