Current calls for artists and consultations
The City of Hamilton commissions artists to create works of public art as outlined in the Public Art Master Plan. Public consultation events occur and Call for Artists are issued throughout the year. Public art staff also advise on art in the public realm throughout the city.
Current Calls for Artists
There are no current calls.
Join our mailing list
Sign up for the Hamilton Public Art Connection email list
to find out about:
- Public Art Call for Artists
- Public Art consultation events
- Winning artists
- Public Art celebrations of new installations and other related events
Banner photo credits (left to right): Kim-Kiu Ho, Ryan McGreal, Tom Flemming, Rick Cordiero, Swire Chin
The commission has been awarded to Vivian Rosas & Vesna Asanovic for their proposal “Gateway”. Installation on an exterior wall on James Street South, across from the Hamilton GO Centre in downtown Hamilton is expected in Fall of 2018.
The commission has been awarded to Dave Kuruc for his proposal “Music City Markers”. The first of the two beacon features displaying the work was installed in the fall of 2017. The second beacon is expected to be installed in 2019.
Additional current projects
The focus group report outlining the characteristics of the site and surrounding community to be addressed in the Call for Artists is available on the project page.
The Call for Artists will be available Winter 2017
- The project has been awarded to Paul Slipper and Mary Ann Liu for their work “The Big Bounce"
- A jury report outlining the jury’s decision is available on the project page
- The work will be installed in 2018
King William Art Walk Public Art Project
A focus group was held on November 10, 2014 to define the goals and themes for this project. To review the Focus Group Report and learn more about this project, please visit the project webpage.
Recently completed projects
Hamilton Farmers' Market Public Art Project
David Hind’s winning proposal "Raising the Barn" has been installed outside of the Hamilton Farmers’ Market on York Boulevard.
Ancaster Fieldcote Walkway Public Art Project
The winning art work was “Landmark” by artist Simon Frank. The piece has been installed on the Ancaster Fieldcote Walkway.
King William Art Walk Banners and Benches
The King William Art Walk includes a temporary installation of visual banners by The Arts Council I am an Artist Project, installed in 2017, and permanent public art benches.
West Harbour (James St. North) GO Station Public Art Project
The winning art work was “Bead Maze” by Laura Marotta.This public art project was initiated by, and is partly funded by, Metrolinx.
Carter Park Mural Public Art Project
Bryce Huffman’s winning proposal for the “Carter Park Mural” has been installed in the park.
Battlefield Park Public Art Project
Eagles Among Us by David M. General has been installed at Battlefield Park.
Dundas Driving Park Public Art Project Phase 1
Racing Carousel by Leslie Drysdale and Sandor Monos has been installed in the park.
Harry Howell (North Wentworth) Arena Public Art Project
Andres Correa's work Growing Together has been installed.
Locke Street Public Art Project
Artist Simon Frank's proposal was awarded the public art commission for this work entitled Concrete Poetry for Locke Street South. The installation is now complete.
Central Services Police Station Public Art Project
Artist Yvonne Felix's work Umbra is installed in the front courtyard of Police Services Central station, 155 King Street West.
James Street North Public Art Project
The James Street North public art commission consists of three installations:
- Vesna Jocic and Nicko Elliot's Roll Out the Rail Carpet, is installed at the corner of James Street North and Murray Street;
- Timeline Siteline, by Peter Osborne and Sean Solowski is installed at the corner of James Street North and Cannon;
- Adesso ne by Yvonne Felix, with Adam Staniland and Jesse Staniland is on both sides of the street at James Street North and Mulberry.
Committee and Council reports and presentations
- February 4, 2015 – General Issues Committee, Public Art Master Plan Review Update Report and Presentation
- May 7, 2014 - General Issues Committee, Public Art Master Plan and Program Annual Update (2014)
- April 17, 2013 - General Issues Committee, Public Art Master Plan and Program Annual Update (2013)
- June 8, 2011 - Emergency & Community Services Committee, Public Art Master Plan and Program Annual Update (2011)
- April 7, 2010 – Emergency & Community Services Committee, Public Art Master Plan Annual Update (2010)
- February 25, 2009 - City Council Minutes approving the 2009 Public Art Master Plan
For general inquiries:
Follow us on social media
Program Manager Public Art and Projects
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 6281
- Date modified: