Festivals & Events

Event Health & Safety

Planning for Health & Safety concerns is required for hosting events on city property or streets.

Hamilton Police Service Paid Duty Officers

Depending on the size and scope of your event, you may be required to hire and pay for off-duty officers from Hamilton Police Service.

For more information, visit Hamilton Police Services

Licensed Security

If you choose to hire and pay for security at your event, it is your responsibility to ensure that the security company holds a valid security guard agency license issued by the Province of Ontario.

For more information, visit Ontario Minisitry of Community Safety & Correctional Services


Not all City parks have washroom facilities. Staff will advise if washroom facilities are not available at the park you have requested in your application. Depending on the size and length of your event, you may be responsible for renting port-a-potties and hand-washing stations at your own expense.

Access to Water

Not all parks have access to potable water. You are responsible for making arrangements for the potable water needed to run your event.

Hamilton Paramedic Service

To ensure health and safety, larger events may be required to secure medical services from the Hamilton Paramedic Service. If medical services are required for your event, a staff member from the Hamilton Paramedic Service will contact you. As the event organizer, you can be held liable for any injury that occurs to you, your staff, or even event visitors. It is crucial to ensure that you have safety measures in place.

Tobacco, Cannabis, and E-Cigarettes

As the event organizer, you are responsible for:

  • ensuring no person smokes (cannabis or tobacco) or uses an electronic cigarette (containing any substance) in a prohibited area
  • posting no-smoking and no-vaping signs
  • giving notice to patrons, staff, volunteers and vendors that smoking and vaping is prohibited
  • ensuring that no ashtrays (or similar items) are within the prohibited areas

Prohibited areas include enclosed public places, parks, playgrounds, recreation and sporting areas, and patios (including 9 metres from the perimeter) where food and or beverage is sold or consumed.

For more information or to obtain required signage contact the Tobacco Hotline at 905-540-5566 or e-mail [email protected].