Development Charges By-law & Development Charges Update Study
As a result of Provincial changes to Development Charges Legislation, the City has amended DC By-law 19-142
- Background Study to amend DC By-law 19-142 (PDF, 1.68 MB)
- Development Charge By-law 19-142 - Consolidated (PDF, 14 MB)
Development Charge Background Study
At the June 12, 2019 meeting, City Council repealed DC By-law 14-153 and enacted a new 2019 DC By-law effective June 13, 2019.
- 2019 Development Charges Background Study (PDF, 24 MB)
Development Charges Information Pamphlets
DC rates will be indexed 9.51% effective July 6, 2022 to July 5, 2023.
Pamphlets under DC 19-142:
- September 18, 2022 to July 5, 2023 (PDF, 948 KB)
- July 6, 2022 to September 17, 2022 (PDF, 949 KB)
- July 6, 2021 to July 5, 2022 (PDF, 928 KB)
- July 6, 2020 to July 5, 2021 (PDF, 1.45 MB)
- November 8, 2019 to July 5, 2020 (PDF, 927 KB)
- July 6, 2019 to December 31, 2019 (PDF, 777 KB)
- June 13, 2019 to July 5, 2019 (PDF, 777 KB)
Development Charges and Bill 108
Effective January, 1, 2020 the Province amended the Development Charges Act, 1997 and the timing of when development charges are calculated.
Please refer to the table below for guidance regarding what DC pamphlet will apply for which type of DC.
|DC Pamphlet to use||DC Pamphlet to use|
|Situation||City DC, GO DC, Dun/Wat SAC||Education DCs|
|A complete application for site plan or zoning amendment was made prior to January 1, 2020||DC Pamphlet in effect at permit issuance **||DC Pamphlet in effect at permit issuance|
A complete application for site plan or zoning amendment was made on or after January 1, 2020
|DC Pamphlet in effect at the later application date plus interest using the tool below to permit issuance||DC Pamphlet in effect at permit issuance|
|The development is not subject to a site plan or zoning amendment application||DC Pamphlet in effect at permit issuance **||
DC Pamphlet in effect at permit issuance
** The City offers a transition policy based on complete building permit application date for 6 months following a DC rate increase which may permit the pamphlet in effect at building permit application to be applied.
Rental Housing and Institutional Developments will pay DCs in six equal annual payments commencing at occupancy. Non-profit housing developments will pay DCs in 21 equal annual payments. Development Charge Instalment Declaration Form (PDF, 108 KB)
DC Deferral Program
As of morning on Wednesday January 22, 2020, the City will be accepting a limited number of non-industrial DC Deferral applications. Allocations will be assigned on a first come, first serve basis until the program has reached capacity.
Eligible non-industrial developments:
- High density residential
Not eligible to apply:
- Low and medium density residential developments
- Developments located within the Downtown Hamilton Community Improvement Project Area (CIPA)
A minimum Development Charge of $50,000 is required in order to apply.
Deferral Program Application form (PDF, 24 KB)
Applications may be emailed to [email protected] with the corresponding $750 application fee delivered, in person, within 2 business days. Application fees will be returned for any applications that are submitted after the available funds have been allocated.
Development Charges By-laws
- By-law 19-142 - Consolidated (PDF, 14 MB)
- City of Hamilton Development Charges By-law 11-174 - Go Transit (PDF, 397 KB)
- City of Hamilton Development Charges Background Study (GO Transit still active) (PDF, 21.5 MB)
Education Board DC By-laws
- Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board DC By-law, effective July 6, 2019 (PDF, 1.9 MB)
- Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board DC By-law, effective July 6, 2019 (PDF, 809 KB)
Annual Treasurer’s Statement
2020 Treasurer’s Statement:
- Development Charges Reserves Status Report as of December 31, 2020 (FCS21047) (PDF, 178 KB)
- FCS21047 Appendix A (PDF, 119 KB)
- FCS21047 Appendix B (PDF, 140 KB)
- FCS21047 Appendix C (PDF, 161 KB)
- FCS21047 Appendix D (PDF, 92 KB)
- FCS21047 Appendix E (PDF, 1.2 MB)
For questions or inquiries related to Development Charges, contact:
Development Charge Request
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 4400
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: