2021 Award Recipients
This year marks the 14th annual Hamilton Municipal Heritage Committee (HMHC) Heritage Recognition Awards. As a city, we want to congratulate this year’s award recipients, and celebrate the significant contributions of property owners, educators, developers and volunteers in the conservation of Hamilton’s heritage.
Like many aspects of life, celebrations will look a bit different this year due to COVID-19 restrictions. While we were unable to host the annual HMHC Recognition Awards event as planned, we remain committed to recognizing individuals for their time and talents in service to the community.
Congratulations to these HMHC Heritage Recognition Award Recipients
23 award recipients will be recognized across nine 2021 award categories including:
Heritage Property Conservation Award Recipients
39 Homewood Avenue, Hamilton
39 Homewood Avenue, located in Ward 1 in the Kirkendall Neighbourhood, was constructed circa 1884-1885. The owners have lovingly looked after this home and property since purchased in 1981. This is a prime example of Italianate architecture which had popularity in the 1840's to the 1890's. The house sits on a lot and half, nicely framed by the extensive and beautiful landcaping. The exterior is in mint condition. The preservation and care is tasteful and true to its original design. The owners have property information dating back to 1864. This is believed to have been built by Mr John Heritage a tailor and construction could have started as early as 1848.
The house has hip roofs with deep overhanging eaves supported by decorative corbels. The dormers were added in the early 1900's. Four chimneys one for each of the fireplaces are original. The windows are tall and slim and rounded at the top with segmental cornices and lintels made of deep carved limestone. Keystone details can be seen at the front and east sides. The house is constructed of red clay brick over a field stone foundations. There are matching quoining on all corners. The etched glass in the lunette shaped fanlight over the double doors in the frontispiece is a reproduction of the original. The frontispiece has apediment at roof line with a small round window. The house is a centre hall plan with stairs to the second floor at the back of the house. This is an outstanding example of the a well preserved home!
174/178 Chedoke Avenue, Hamilton
174/178 Chedoke Avenue is an Arts and Crafts style home built in 1910 as the residence of William James Southam (Bill), the fifth son of William Southam who founded the Hamilton Spectator. It was designed by the prominent Hamilton architect, William Palmer Witton and is located within the Kirkendall South Established Historical Neighbourhood.
The present owners have meticulously maintained the original façade of the dwelling, including the extensive undertaking to restore the original double hung windows. Over the course of a twelve-month period, a total of 31 windows including all of the front window and some on the side and back were removed and restored including the weights and cords. Wooden storm windows were made to replace the anachronous aluminum storms. This work was completed by Heritage Mill.
In addition to the windows, twenty-first century comforts such as central air conditioning have been added without detracting from the façade or character of the building while landscaping has been done in a manner sympathetic to the unfussy taste of 1910.
254 MacNab Street North, Hamilton
254 MacNab Street North, located in Ward 1 is one of six of the “Painted Ladies” of Hamilton. Four of those Ladies have been designated under the Heritage Act of Ontario.
The townhouse complex was designed and built by architect James Balfour, (Treble Hall, Scottish Rite), for Henry Larkin in 1879. The building is part of the MacNab Terrace and is a stone, brick and wood rowhouse.
The Terrace incorporates classic (Palladian and Italianate) and Romantic (Gothic Revival) design. This structure contributes to the MacNab Terrace as a restored historical landmark.
The currant owners have restored and tastefully designed the facade. Each of the “Painted Ladies” has a different and distinct colour scheme for the architectural details of the facade to highlight the significance of the building.
1 Fallsview Road, Greensville
This magnificent old house was built in 1850 was once the home William Bullock 1804-66, for whom the Village of Bullocks Corner was named. Modeled after Bullock's favourite English house it has steep roofs and multiple dormers. The second floor appears to have the original triangular window openings and windows.
William Bullock emigrated from England in 1833 and opened a tavern called the British Hotel in 1837. The hotel served people travelling by stagecoach between Dundas and Guelph. William purchased the property in 1840 from James Crooks and established a grist and lumber mill along Spencer creek.
William Bullock served on West Flamborough Township council from 1852-1855. The building appears in the City of Hamilton's Heritage Inventory.
19 Viewpoint Avenue, Hamilton (Sacred Heart Parish)
Opened in 1952, Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church with its simple elegant lines is a rare example of Norman style architecture not often seen in Hamilton or Canada. The vaulted ceilings are held by laminated wood trusses due to the steel shortage soon after the war. With the use of wood trusses, Sacred Heart is a rare example of a church with functional buttresses.
With the city of Hamilton rapidly expanding because of immigration, the Diocese of Hamilton elected to build its first new church since the opening of the Cathedral of Christ the King on the escarpment overlooking the city. This magnificent church was designed by William R. Souter and was built by Pigott Construction.
131-135 Aberdeen Avenue, Hamilton (Gateside)
131-135 Aberdeen Avenue, “Gateside” was built in 1905. It was considered a “royal home” by the British government which selected houses thought to be suitable for Royal visits. Visiting Royals included Princess Margaret and Wallis Simpson, wife of Edward V11. The architect of the original house was John Lyle. Munro and Mead added to the home in 1909 and again in 1914. The home was built for Col. William Jr. & Elizabeth (Lilly) Hendrie. It is described as a Tudor Revival Style Mansion and was awarded a Hamilton Historical Board Award in 1977.
Gateside has had extensive renovations over the last 2 years. The owners who are very proud of this magnificent property have made a point of using reputable Heritage contractors to carry out the work to preserve this house.
Heritage Mill has been their contractor for the exterior restoration work that included replacing all fascia boards and soffits for both the house and garage. All three friezes and any associated trim have been remade and replaced to the original design. All of the exterior wood has been replaced if damaged by sun or water. Two 6 light casement windows were made to replace windows on the main floor that had had a window air conditioner installed previously. Heritage Mill also installed a new chevron look at the front of the house, using timber and bolts to match the original era. All eaves troughs were replaced and rain boxes custom made to replicate the original.
Reber Restoration Inc. replaced the existing slate roof with a smooth unfading green slate to match the old. Copper was installed for the drip edge on all eaves lines, copper was used on all hips, valleys and ridges, all fireplace chimneys were clad in copper as were the plumbing stacks. They also had PW Stone waterproof the southern portion of the house. Cement and interlocking walkways were all replaced by flagstone. And lastly the exterior of the house was repainted and all 7 chimneys repaired and parged. A magnificent restoration that will stand another 100 years or more. Congratulations to the owners!
23 Undercliffe Avenue, Hamilton
23 Undercliffe, built in the 1920's, suffered massive damage in a devastating fire in the winter of 2014. Both the exterior and the interior required extensive restoration, repair and replacement. The owners’ restored the house to its original following the fire.
All the windows were restored except for the third floor that were beyond repair and required replacement windows. Most of the original doors were retained. Lath was kept, but the walls were plastered with new methods. (skim coat on a plaster board) The hardwood floors were replicated to the same detail. The third floor was replaced with reclaimed pine to match the floors prior to fire. All of the fireplaces were restored except for the living room. The living room fire place mantel had been changed by previous owners. To match the era of the house, the present owners replaced it with an ornate plaster of Paris mantel. The exact roof line was rebuilt, which included the gables to recreate the original look of the house. The same type of slate roof was used for the roof and rather than insulate the walls, the owners upgraded the HVAC system to allow the bricks to breath. The owners stated said that this house when originally built was featured in the Hamilton Spectator news and described as one of the 10 most beautiful homes in Hamilton that year. It remains a beautiful house thanks to the efforts of the owners.
Heritage Property Developer Recognition Award Recipients
Core Urban Inc. – Arliss Building (The Olympia Club), 53 King Street East, Hamilton
Core Urban has yet again demonstrated their commitment to the rejuvenation of the City’s downtown core with their most recent investment project; the Olympia Club; historically known as the Arliss Building as well as the adjacent Singer Building.
Centred within the Gore, Core Urban has brought new life into these two office and commercial properties. While interior renovations have modernized the space to make them more accessible and meet current building codes, historical photos were used to help reconstruct the exterior façade to reflect the Arliss’ original 1915 design.
Unique interior features include 18’-0” ceilings, exposed brick, and a two-storey ground floor u-shaped mezzanine.
Constructed in 1915 for use by Robert McKay & Company, a drygood business, the Arliss Building has been home to many prominent and popular businesses over the years, such as Steel Stores Ltd. retail (1922), Adams Furniture Company (1940) (the building was refaced in 1947), and later the Arliss Company (1949) with restaurant, bowling alley and several stores. From 1949 to the late 1990’s the Arliss Building was home to popular local music venues, Duffy’s Tavern, Duffy’s Rockpile and later, Oliver’s.
The Singer Building at #61 King St. E., was designed by Architect N.A. Armstrong and constructed in 1947. The building housed the Singer Sewing Company until 1980 when it later became a gaming and adult entertainment venue.
This Core Urban project exemplifies how a developer can make a significant and positive impact on the City’s heritage urban fabric through thoughtful design.
Adaptive Reuse of Heritage Property Award Recipients
147 Mary Street, Hamilton
The Good Shepherd’s “Welkom House”, located at 147 Mary Street (120 Cannon St. E.), was once home to Thornton & Douglas Ltd., a garment factory designed by prominent Hamilton architects, Stewart & Witton in 1910. As industry in the city changed and after years of sitting vacant, the property was purchased for use by Good Shepherd Non Profit Homes. Work soon began to renovate and convert the existing 4 storey industrial space into 30 residential units and was completed in 2019.
On the exterior, brick was cleaned and repaired to restore the well-designed and detailed brick façade and to preserve the classic streetscape. Renovations also included building envelope, site and accessibility improvements to provide quality living space for those in need of shelter and community support.
This property has been restored to serve as housing and is an excellent example, within the Beasley Neighbourhood, of how adaptive reuse, social housing and heritage preservation can work together, successfully. This property was added to the City’s Municipal Heritage Register (Non-Designated Properties) in September 2014.
141 Park Street North, Hamilton
Originally constructed as a gasworks in 1850, the newly formed Hamilton Gas Light Company converted coal into gas to power the streetlights and homes nearby.
In 1900, the Hamilton Gas Light Company moved their business but the Gasworks building at 141 Park St. N. remained and was used as offices and a small event space for many years.
In 2018, the John and Ellie Voortman Charitable Foundation purchased the Gasworks to provide a cultural hub for a variety of charities in Hamilton. They hired the Design Team of
TCA/Thier+Curran Architects Inc. who added a sensitive addition to the existing structure. The addition which was placed at the rear of the property doubled the size of this visionary art space, created a fully barrier free accessible space with a new elevator, exterior ramps, a universal washroom, and a ramp access to the main stage. All the while street presence and the historical character was maintained. The Gasworks Cultural Centre is home to the Hamilton Music Collective which supports their Instrument for Every Child program. Other tenants include Re-Create Art Studio, The Meeting House-Downtown Hamilton, Chorus Hamilton, Hamilton Youth Steel Orchestra and Living Rock-New Mom’s Group. Event space is also available for rent.
Cultural Heritage Landscape Award Recipients
Young Family Cemetery, 1499 Upper Wellington Street, Hamilton
The Young Family Cemetery, located at 1499 Upper Wellington Street, was established in 1832 and is a resting place for many members of an Empire Loyalist family that established a large farm on the mountain. It serves as an important historical connection to the early settlers of Barton township.
It is maintained with great care by the local residents and the City of Hamilton.
Making Heritage Accessible Award Recipients
6180 White Church Road East, Mount Hope (Case United Church)
Case United Church was originally built in 1894 as Case Wesleyan Methodist Church. It was constructed in a rural vernacular application of the Romanesque Revival architectural style with Italianate elements.
The land that the church sits on was deeded to the congregation by local farmer William Case Smith and his wife Jane in 1864. Smith was named after the well-known itinerant preacher Reverend William Case (1780-1855) who was instrumental in spreading Methodism throughout Canada. In 1864, a frame structure was built on the land and utilized by the congregation until the present brick church was constructed.
In 2018, the Case United Church received approval to construct a two-storey contemporary addition to the east side of the existing building. The new addition contains community and support space, while ensuring accessibility throughout the church with the incorporation of a new accessible entry point, elevator and barrier-free washrooms. The contemporary glass design compliments the historic masonry of the church, is set back towards the rear of the building as to not detract from the focal points of the historical architecture and to be easily accessible from the parking lot. While some finishing touches remain, the majority of the addition has been completed with much of the work being done by very dedicated members of the church itself.
Along with improving the building’s physical accessibility, the new addition was designed with a desire to connect more to the surrounding community. According to Case United Church Reverend Ann Stafford, “the addition is meant to be more open and inviting – in other words, not just accessible in terms of removing physical barriers, but in being able to envision yourself going inside for, say, a yoga class, or a workshop, or a community group meeting. Our dream is that the church building will become something of a community hub.”
To see more photographs of the project at Case United Church, please visit: www.caseunitedchurch.ca/accessibility-project.
The church is on the City’s Inventory of Heritage Buildings, Inventory of Cemeteries and Burial Grounds and Places of Worship Inventory.
Education in Heritage Award Recipients
Lance Daren Cole, Patrick Douthart, Nathan McCrory
Upon hearing Lance Darren Cole advocating for the preservation and retrofit of St Giles Church, audio engineer and videographer, Nathan McCrory (Steady Canoe) offered his services to the cause. Engaging licensed drone videographer/editor, Patrick Douthart (Inwardout Productions) the three created an educational and visually impactful video to bring awareness to this built heritage asset.
The trio were approached by the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario Hamilton Branch to create narrated virtual tours of significant historical properties for Doors Open online. Working with a skeletal budget they donated 80% of their service fee to maintain the integrity of production values on three fully produced presentations. Westfield Heritage Village, Chedoke Estate and The Cotton Factory. Cole wrote and narrated the series as they overcame obstacles of access restrictions and tight timeline deadlines. The value these videos bring is evident upon watching. They are grateful to all who aided in research and for this recognition.
For more information, visit www.doorsopenontario.on.ca/en/hamilton
Downtown BIA QR Code Project – Memory Lane
There are many ways to help educate a community about its history, but there is no better way then to encourage people to get out and experience the city first hand.
In a time, where in-person walking tours were not possible, the Downtown Hamilton BIA created an initiative called Memory Lane.
Memory Lane offers an in-depth self-guided tour with scannable QR codes. All you have to do to get started is search out the QR codes across the BIA and scan to reveal the history of that property, complete with vintage photos provided by Hamilton Public Libraries’ Local History and Archives department.
Alternatively, you can navigate Memory Lane online and explore the past from the comfort of your home, visit http://downtownhamilton.org/memory-lane/
Leanne Pluthero has been an active local historian for many years. Leanne's main passion has been Isaac Buchanan and anything connected with him and his family. This includes the preservation of Auchmar House, the gate house and the history of the 13th Volunteer Battalion, today's Rileys. Leanne has been active in trying to save and preserve Century Manor and any other remnant of the old Asylum.
You can also find Leanne assisting with tours at Auchmar or on Facebook posting and commenting about Hamilton's heritage. Leanne's latest endeavour was teaming up with one of last years recipients Bill King to publish “Auchmar — Portrait of a Home.”
The Art of Heritage Recognition Award Recipients
Danuta Niton is a local artist with a well-rounded portfolio in many mediums including graphic design, sculpting, painting, murals, art education and most recently, house sketching, finding inspiration in her hometown of Dundas.
At the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, Danuta began taking walks through the neighbourhoods of Dundas, returning home to create wonderful sketches of the buildings she saw – over 300 to be specific. By speaking with home owners and local residents, Danuta quickly began piecing together stories of these homes, bringing her beautiful artwork to life to create the book, ‘My Walks of Art – A Walking Guidebook of Dundas, Ontario’, which contains over 130 illustrations, guiding people on six selfguided walking tours.
With no prior experience in publishing, Danuta, along with the help of her daughter Kasia navigated the complexities associated with this process and self-published ‘My Walks of Art’ to share the beauty and stories of Dundas. Launching in November 2021, the book has since sold out four times. Each time a batch of books is reprinted, Danuta adds more stories and information she gathers regularly by members of the community and through social media.
‘My Walks of Art’ will captivate an audience of any age or ability through the impressive illustrations, while inviting them to explore and learn about the history and architecture of Dundas. Danuta’s humble nature, talented skillset and her love for her community is captured perfectly in this must-have book.
Elizabeth Sue Hanna
Elizabeth research historical buildings and reproduces them as they were when they were first built in a 3D mixed media format.
Her painstaking detail and process take months to produce a finished image.
Her images have included Auchmar, the Hamilton Cemetery Gatehouse, the Royal Yacht Club and Lighthouse and Dundurn Castle.
Elizabeth has been nominated for the visual artist of the year, had displays at Treble Hall and Innovation Park, and was showcased on Cable 14.
The Power of Design
In the early 20th century, Hamilton was Canada’s Electric City; pioneering the supply and distribution of hydro-electricity. With this great achievement, came an architectural legacy.
The Power of Design exhibit is a collaboration between photographer Francis Fougere, architect Chris Harrison and architectural historian Megan Hobson. The exhibit documents the historical significance of Hamilton's early Hydro Electric System and showcases the rich architectural heritage of the varied and beautifully designed substations throughout the city.
As a travelling exhibit, this work has been displayed at the Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology, the Cotton Factory as well as subject of a pop‐up event and illustrated lecture held at the Westinghouse Building.
A short video of the exhibit narrated by Richard Barlas, curator at the Museum of Steam and Technology has been produced.
Heritage Group, Society or Specialty Team Award Recipients
Hamilton Police Historical Society
Incorporated in September of 2019, the Hamilton Police Historical Society may be one of the youngest of the local heritage societies, but its mandate is a mighty one.
Supported by Hamilton Police Service and the Hamilton Police Services Board, the Society operates from Ancaster’s historic 1820 Tisdale House.
This volunteer organization is staffed by Police Retirees, who run the museum, collect and document artifacts, undertake research and preserve Hamilton’s history as one of the first
communities in Upper Canada to adopt the policing concepts of Sir Robert Peel.
To date, volunteers have scanned well over 280,000 photos and with an ever growing collection, Society volunteers are often called upon as a resource for local historians.
The Society’s Facebook page, acts as a virtual museum to engage with those interested in learning about, as well as contributing to, the legacy and history of the Hamilton Police Services.
Ancaster Village Heritage Community
Ancaster Village Heritage Community (AVHC), a vibrant grassroots organization, is an outstanding example of citizen engagement committed to preserving Ancaster’s precious heritage and promoting positive development as the community evolves.
With the demolition of Brandon House in 2020, AVHC undertook several initiatives to help protect their heritage, including leading an inventory of 110 pre-1867 buildings, alongside the ACO and the City, and hosting activities including a rally to preserve the 1842 stone-built Marr-Phillipo House in the Village Core.
Flamborough Archives and Heritage Society
Formed in 1973, the Waterdown-East Flamborough Heritage Society has grown to be one of the largest and most active Heritage Groups in the City.
At a time when the three Townships of Beverly and East and West Flamborough became joined as one community, concerned citizens encouraged the creation of the Heritage Society to protect and preserve the local history and heritage of the area and the Village of Waterdown.
The group is dedicated to the collection and preservation of archival material relating to the history, people, buildings and communities within the area. They record local history, maintain a permanent archives, increase public appreciation and awareness through publications and meetings as well as network with other groups to education and promote the Society and its work.
Located within the Waterdown Library, the Flamborough Archives is staffed and operated entirely by dedicated volunteers. We congratulate these volunteers for their commitment and their outstanding contribution to the conservation and preservation of Hamilton’s Heritage.
Heritage Streetscape Revitalization Award Recipients
302 James Street North, Hamilton
Once an abandoned and underutilized property on the prominent corner of James Street North and Barton, 302 James Street North has been transformed.
The complete revitalization of the existing mixed‐use buildings includes new retail units for Steeltown Garage and The Bottle Shop, as well as a graphic design studio on the ground floor and several rebuilt residential rental apartments above.
The new exit stair addition is clad in black metal siding, while storefronts are painted in bold colours and graphics for identity.
A large garage door connects the Steeltown Garage motorcycle shop and café with the street.
Although, this may seem to be a modest and simple rehabilitation of a derelict building, the success of the project has had a huge impact on the dynamics of the streetscape and has grown to be an economic driver in the neighbourhood through creative design.
431-435 Barton Street East, Hamilton
Located at 431 to 435 Barton Street East, this development project upcycles a tired pair of mixed use buildings into a new catalyst contributing to the revival of Barton Village.
Where there were originally 6 units, the upper floors now contain 8 fully renovated rental apartments with exposed wood joists and decks. Fire escapes have been replaced with separated stairs, the building envelope has been renewed and all new services installed.
The main floor is now home to Mosaic Bar with their alleyway patio, Dawson’s Hot Sauce shop and an outpost of Bike Locke.
With new custom metal window shrouds in varied colours, a new ground floor façade of mosaic tile and glass as well as distinctive lighting and signage make this a dynamic landmark on the street and demonstrates the potential available within other Barton Village properties.
Find a previous award recipient
To find the location of previous HMHC Heritage Recognition Award recipient, enter an address or intersection into the search box.
Historical Award Winners
Heritage Property Conservation Award
- 18 Turner Avenue, Hamilton
- 73 Aberdeen Avenue, Hamilton
- 244 Jame Street South, Hamilton - Lintack Architects
- Carpenter House, 1059 Highway 8, Stoney Creek
- Fifty United Church, 1455 Highway 8, Winona
- Frost House, 1 Markland Avenue, Hamilton - The Golfi Team REMAX
- Fletcher House at Stoneholm Farm, 2081 Upper James Street, Hamilton
- Van Duzer House, 1446 Highway 8, Stoney Creek
- The Parsonage, 31/33 Melville Street, Dundas
- Miller House, 558 Wilson Street East, Ancaster
- Fraser House, 176 Wilson Street, Ancaster
- St. David’s Presbyterian Church, 474 Wentworth Street North, Hamilton
- Wissnez Law, 183 James Street South, Hamilton
- Westover Baptist Church, 1149 Westover Road, Flamborough
- Pearson House, 493 Dundas Street East, Flamborough
- 77 Creighton, Dundas
- 92 Melville, Dundas
- 96 Melville, Dundas
- 1379 Concession 6 Road West, Flamborough
- 105 Aberdeen Avenue, Hamilton
- Maple Lawn, 254 Bay Street South, Hamilton
- 1 Turner Avenue, Hamilton
- The Playhouse Cinema, 177 Sherman Avenue North, Hamilton
- Rastrick House
- 2844 Governor’s Road, Ancaster
- Medical Arts Centre
- The Slater House
- Former East Flamborough Town Hall
- Church of the Redeemer
- The “Painted Lady”
- Griffin House National Historic Site
- 15 Church Street, Dundas
- Clark Homestead
- The Sail Loft
- 95, 105 and 105 1/2 James Street North, Hamilton
- Former Hamilton Custom House
- The Hermitage Ruins
- Former Dundas Valley Curling & Skating Rink
- Collins Hotel
- Stone Century Home
- St. Paul's Presbyterian Church
- Cathedral Basilica of Christ the King
- Hambly House
- The Cotton Factory
- Orr House
- Jones House (also known as Locust Lawn)
- St. George's Church and Cemetery
- The Smuck Homestead
- Robada Cottage
- The Maples
- Pickwick Book Store
- 3146 Cemetery Road, Glanbrook
- 6475 Sinclairville Road, Glanbrook
- St. Paul's Anglican Church (Glanford)
- The Augusta House
- The Pheasant Plucker
- 541 Eatery and Exchange
- The Cooper House
- The Power House
- The Vicar's Vice
- Tisdale House
- The Carnegie Gallery
- Laing Apartments
- Osler House
- SEEDWORKS (Former Tregunno Seeds Store)
- James North Studio
- Capri Ristorante Italiano / Blue Grotto
- Arts Centre and Lofts
- Raich House
- 65 Murray Street West, Hamilton
- Westmount Health Centre
- Brigadier Smith House, "Ravenscraig Manor"
- Smith-Gooderman House
- Copps-Smith Residence
- Detour Coffee Roasters Café
- Dundas Valley School of Art
- Hoeflaak Residence
- First Hamilton Christian Reformed Church
- Couchman-Wood Residence
- Former Hamilton Institute of Technology
- Edgewater Manor Restaurant
- Dundas Business Centre (Former Post Office)
- St. Thomas Lofts (Former St. Thomas Church)
- Former Dominion Furniture Building
- Former Edwin Pass Watchmaker
- Hambly House
- 151 St. Clair Avenue, Hamilton
- Vicar's Vice Restaurant
- White Brick Church
- Quatrefoil Restaurant
- The Old Wesleyan Methodist Parsonage
- The Pearce Residence
- Lister Block
- The Old Powerhouse Restaurant
- Shaver Homestead
- Old Mill Inn
- DeVries Residence
- Victoria Hall
- Nash-Jackson House
- Cairn-Gorm Studio Artworks
- Crozier Residence
- The London Taphouse
- Judy Marsales Real Estate Office
- The Spa at Ancaster
Heritage Property Developer Recognition Award
- The Valour Group - The Oscar on Bold (Pasadena Apartments), 27 Bold Street, Hamilton
- William Thomas Student Residences, 48 James Street North (James Street Residences Inc.)
- Residences of the Royal Connaught, 112 King Street East (Valery Homes/ Spallacci Homes)
- Westinghouse HQ, 286 Sanford Avenue North, Hamilton (Electric City Developments)
- The Alley, 12 James Street North, Hamilton (Core Urban Inc.)
- Old Weeks Hardware
- McGregor House
- White Tea House
- Crooker House
- Textile Building
- The Right House
- Templar Flats
- Empire Times Building
- Dundas District Lofts
- Stinson Lofts
- Witton Lofts
- Allenby Lofts (Former Allenby School)
- Margaret Street Lofts
- The Stone Lofts
- West Avenue Residences
- Herkimer Apartments
Sustainable Design in Heritage Award
- 158 MacNab Street North, Hamilton
- 31 Mulberry Street, Hamilton
- Former Office of McCallum Sather Architects, 157 Catharine Street North, Hamilton
- McMaster Biology Greenhouse
- 8 Mayfair Crescent, Hamilton
Making Heritage Accessible Award
- St. Stanislaus Roman Catholic Polish Church, 718 Barton Street East, Hamilton
- Provincial Offenses Administrative Building, 50 Main Street East, Hamilton
- Eva Rothwell Centre, 460 Wentworth Street North, Hamilton
- Waterdown Memorial Hall
- Binbrook Soldiers’ Memorial Hall
- Lister Block
- Dundas Museum & Archives
- Mohawk Trail School Museum
Cultural Heritage Landscape Award
- The Durand Neighbourhood Character Project
- Hamilton Cemetery, 777 York Boulevard, Hamilton
- Mountain Brow Boulevard Parkway
- Dundurn National Historic Site
- Puddicombe Farms, Winery & Cider
- Shaver Family Cemetery Stone Wall Restoration Project
- Battlefield Park
Heritage Group, Society or Specialty Team Award
- Stoney Creek Historical Society
- Canadian Headstone Project Team
- The Residents of 13 Inglewood Drive, Hamilton
- Durand Neighbourhood Association
- Friends of the Gore
- Restoration Team for 992 King St. E at St. Clair (also 2 St. Clair Avenue)
- Waterdown Mill Street Heritage District Committee
- Westdale Cinema
Education in Heritage Award
- Bill King
- Jon Soyka
- Rob Hamilton (Former Chair of the Hamilton Historical Board)
- Stephanie Dumbreck (Founder of Haunted Hamilton, 20th Anniversary)
- Ray Carrol (Founder of Vintage Hamilton and Historian)
- Barbara Murray (President of the local chapter of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario, Founding organizer of Doors Open Hamilton, Member of the Beach Lighthouse Group and the Head of the Lake Society)
- Donna Reid for the Hamilton Store
- Brian Henley, Historian and Author
- Nathan Tidridge, Historian and Author
- The Jelly Brothers (Matt & Dan Jelly), Heritage Advocates and Entrepreneurs
- Paul Wilson, Journalist
- Sylvia Wray, Archivist - Flamborough Archives
- Margaret Houghton, Archivist at Hamilton Public Library, Central Branch
- Shannon Kyles, Professor - Mohawk College Department of Architecture
- John Aikman, Curator and Manager - The Educational Archives and Heritage Centre of Hamilton-Wentworth
- Julian Smith, Executive Director - Willowbank School of Restoration Arts
- Julie French - Creation of the HMHC Logo
- Andrew Robinson - Long-time Volunteer Support
Adaptive Reuse of a Heritage Property Award
- 7‐11 Brock Street, Hamilton
- Date modified: