The City of Hamilton is pleased to announce the 2021 Urban Design and Architecture Awards to recognize and celebrate design excellence in Hamilton. A well designed built environment creates a sense of pride and plays a key role in developing a vibrant, livable and sustainable community.
Who may submit a project
Architects, urban designers, planners, landscape architects, owners, developers, contractors, engineers, students, etc. are invited and encouraged to submit exceptional urban design projects that represent visionary thinking in Hamilton. The submissions should include high quality, innovative and human-scaled projects.
Deadline and eligibility
To be eligible, projects must:
- Be located within the geographic limits of the City of Hamilton.
- Have been completed after June 15, 2019 and prior to June 11, 2021.
- Have the ‘urban elements’, ’buildings’ and ‘landscapes’ (categories 1 to 4) submissions substantially complete and occupied. ‘Visions and plans’, ‘civic achievements’ and ‘student projects’ must be complete.
The 2021 submission period is now open!
Award categories have been established to aid in the fair evaluation of entries. A project or components of a project may be submitted under more than one category. View a list of award categories.
How to submit a project
To submit a project for the 2021 Urban Design & Architecture Awards, you will need to:
- Create a submission package using the submission package template (PPTX, 80 KB). The submission package will include a maximum of 12 slides and must contain these items:
- Slide 1: Cover page including the project title and a key image. This image will be used for all promotional materials, please select an image that best represents the project.
- Slide 2: A project abstract and additional project information (additional information is optional). This abstract must succinctly describe the projects main design features and merits. (150 words maximum).Applicants may also include a bullet point list outlining additional project details focusing on how the site improves the urban environment and the quality of the public realm (referencing the criteria outlined in the relevant award category). (300 words maximum)
- Slides 3 to 12: Images with short captions. A variety of images (1 per page) that illustrate the exceptional nature of the project. Each image must be high resolution (minimum 300 dpi) and include a heading (e.g. Southern view).
- Need more guidance? View an example submission package (PDF, 2 MB)
Submission deadline: Friday, June 11th, 2021 by 4 pm
For more information contact:
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 5707
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: