The City of Hamilton is pleased to announce the 2019 Urban Design and Architecture Awards to recognize and celebrate design excellence in Hamilton. A well designed built environment creates a sense of pride and plays a key role in developing a vibrant, livable and sustainable community.
Who may submit a project
Architects, urban designers, planners, landscape architects, owners, developers, contractors, engineers, students, etc. are invited and encouraged to submit exceptional urban design projects that represent visionary thinking in Hamilton. The submissions should include high quality, innovative and human-scaled projects.
Deadline and eligibility
To be eligible, projects must:
- Be located within the geographic limits of the City of Hamilton.
- Have been completed after April 13, 2017 and prior to June 14, 2019.
- Have the ‘urban elements’, ’buildings’ and ‘landscapes’ (categories 1 to 4) submissions substantially complete and occupied. ‘Visions and plans’, ‘civic achievements’ and ‘student projects’ must be complete.
Submission deadline: Friday, June 14, 2019 by 4 pm
Award categories have been established to aid in the fair evaluation of entries. A project or components of a project may be submitted under more than one category. View a list of award categories.
How to submit a project
To submit a project for the 2019 Urban Design & Architecture Awards, you will need to:
- Create a submission package using the submission package template (PPTX, 80 KB). The submission package will include a maximum of 12 slides and must contain these items:
- Slide 1: Cover page including the project title and a key image. This image will be used for all promotional materials, please select an image that best represents the project.
- Slide 2: A project abstract and additional project information (additional information is optional). This abstract must succinctly describe the projects main design features and merits. (150 words maximum).Applicants may also include a bullet point list outlining additional project details focusing on how the site improves the urban environment and the quality of the public realm (referencing the criteria outlined in the relevant award category). (300 words maximum)
- Slides 3 to 12: Images with short captions. A variety of images (1 per page) that illustrate the exceptional nature of the project. Each image must be high resolution (minimum 300 dpi) and include a heading (e.g. Southern view).
- Need more guidance? View an example submission package (PDF, 2 MB)
- Complete the online submission form
- You will also need to submit 7 colour hard copies of the presentation in 8.5” x 11” size for the jury. You may mail or hand deliver these copies to:
2019 Urban Design and Architecture Awards
Planning and Economic Development Department
Hamilton City Hall
71 Main Street West, 5th Floor
Hamilton, Ontario, L8P 4Y5
Attention: Max Kerrigan
For more information contact:
Phone: 905-546-1224 ext. 1291
- Date modified: