Urban Design & Architecture Awards 2013 Winners

The City received 37 submissions (PDF, 590 KB) from architects, landscape architects, planners, owners, students and members of the public. Each submission was evaluated by a volunteer jury consisting of planning, design and academic professionals. 

The categories for the 2013 awards program include:

  • Urban Design
  • Architecture
  • Contextual Architecture
  • Adaptive Reuse

Based upon the submissions, two of the categories noted above were newly created: Cultural Landscape and Environmental Design.

Award recipients

Twelve projects received awards within eight categories:

Project Description
This facility is located in the heart of Stoney Creek, near Battlefield Park. It is an aquatic complex that includes a leisure pool, training pool, change rooms and multipurpose rooms. It is part of a larger site that contains an existing arena. The building has a front yard setback that is similar to the existing residences. The glazing provides a view of the activities within the pool area, while a pedestrian plaza leads you from the sidewalk through the site.

Jury Comments
This is an excellent public project that integrates with the streetscape, offering a plaza space within the front and side yards. Located within the Olde Town district of Stoney Creek, the building’s siting, scale and massing compliments the surrounding urban fabric. The architecture provides a mid-century modernist style, using strong materials found within the neighbourhood. This community resource is supported by nearby shops, restaurants, and service uses, and is highly accessible to the many nearby residents.

Exterior of Stoney Creek Recreation Centre Building

Address: 45 King Street West, Stoney Creek
Owner: City of Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • Lintack Architects Inc. (Architect)
  • RDH Architects Inc. (Associate Architect)
  • PMA Landscape Architects Ltd. (Landscape Architect)
  • Aquicon Construction Co Ltd. (General Contractor)

Project Description
This residence is located on the narrow sandbar that separates Lake Ontario form the Hamilton Bay. The design of the building respects the past built fabric of Hamilton’s beach community. It is constructed with cedar shake siding, and includes large expanses of windows. The mature trees on site are preserved, augmented by many new plantings. Terraces on the second floor overlook the landscaped courtyard.

Jury Comments
This is a fantastic building designed in an eclectic cottage style, which is consistent with its beach front context. The innovative design includes a central outdoor landscaped courtyard, utilizing a naturalized planting design. The design of the building and the landscaping blend well into this beach community.

Exterior of Mokrycke Residence
Address: 1038 Beach Boulevard, Hamilton
Owner: John Mokrycke
Architects & Contractors:

John Mokrycke Architect (Architect)
John Mokrycke Architect (General Contractor)

Project Description
This renovated space is located within the Refectory building in the historic core of the McMaster University Campus, which is designated under the Ontario Heritage Act. The Refectory building was constructed in 1930, as a Dining Hall and Central Plant. The design concept was to create a space that highlights the original interior features of the Dining Hall while providing a modern multi-functional dining/pub experience.

The project includes an entire interior renovation with new commercial kitchen, mechanical and electrical systems, and an updated exterior patio.

Jury Comments
The building has great bones and the renovations were completed in a spirit that respects its original beauty. Designed in a Collegiate Gothic style, the renovations maintain this 1930 building’s cultural meaning by protecting, restoring, and re-using the original light fixtures, door and window frames, trims, panels, and exterior flagstone terrace. The conservation of this building allows patrons of the Phoenix Pub & Restaurant to enjoy its everlasting beauty.

Interior of Pheonix Pub and Restaurant

Address: 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton
Owner: McMaster University Graduate Student Association
Architects & Contractors:

  • McCallum Sather Architects Inc. (Architect)
  • MHBC Planning, Urban Design & Landscape 
  • Architecture (Landscape Architect)
  • Bestco Construction Ltd. (General Contractor)

Project Description
This former industrial building is located in downtown Dundas. The building was constructed in 1836 and began as the Canada Screw Works. An addition was constructed in 1941 to replicate features of the original building design. The Dundas Valley School of Art established itself here in 1970.

The building underwent a complete renovation to bring the facility up to code, improve energy efficiency and meet accessibility standards. The intention was to completely upgrade the facility, while respecting the original materials and design.

Jury Comments
The renovations to this cultural resource will allow for the long term enjoyment of the greater community. The introduction of the entrance sculpture functions as a canopy, and provides a wonderful transition from the original structure to the 1941 addition. It presents a clear art school identity without being overstated. The use of metal for the sculpture ties back to the original use of the building as a metal factory and serves as public art providing visual identification and emphasizing the building’s entrance

Interior of Dundas Valley School of Art

Address: 21 Ogilvie Street, Dundas
Owner: Dundas Valley School of Art
Architects & Contractors:

  • Invizij Architects and Garwood-Jones & Hanham Architects (Architects)
  • Ira McDonald Construction Ltd. (General Contractor)

Project Description
This streetscape feature is located on Wilson Street at the entrance to the historical Downtown Ancaster. The new gateway is designed to be a focal point at the entrance to the Business Improvement Area. It also provides an accessible pedestrian and bicycle crossing, connecting people to the realigned trail system. It incorporates materials that are found in the nearby heritage buildings such as Wiarton Limestone and wrought iron.

Jury Comments
This streetscape design is excellent and offers an appropriate scale, materials, colour and composition. The use of limestone is fitting for a project in this area and blends well with the surrounding context. The design of the gateway is aesthetically pleasing and functions as a pedestrian crossing, trail link, and enhanced roadway. The large stone columns frame the vista looking east to the downtown, and tie in with the landmark steeple of St. John’s Church.

Ancaster Gateway Entrance Feature

Address: Wilson Street East, West of Halson Street, Ancaster
Owner: City of Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • City of Hamilton, Urban Renewal (Landscape Architect)
  • New Alliance Ltd. (General Contractor)
  • Dillon Consulting (Structural and Working Drawings)

Project Description
This site is located in the West Harbour area. The original structure was built in the 1920’s as McIlwraith Elementary School. The redevelopment was named after the original architect, William Palmer Witton. A three-storey contemporary glass addition sits atop the original school structure, creating 36 residential units. The renovations and addition to the heritage building were challenging. Engineering studies could not determine the structural capacity of the existing foundation. Accordingly, the structure of the addition had to “bypass” the existing structure. The foundation for the addition was constructed with helical piers, essentially steel screws drilled into the ground to a level of solid bearing. Steel and glass for the upper structure were selected as light and complementary materials to the visually heavier brick and stone of the original building.

The presence of noise from the nearby rail line and shunting yard posed acoustical challenges. Mitigation measures were incorporated into the built form. The west, north and easterly facades were glazed with thicker glass, increased airspace and a layer of laminated film. The south face was not subject to rail noise, and balconies oriented to downtown views were provided. 

Exterior of Witton Lofts

Address: 50 Murray Street West, Hamilton
Owner: Core Urban Inc.
Architects & Contractors:

  • ​Lintack Architects Incorporated (Architect)
  • Adesso Design Inc. (Landscape Architect)
  • WEBB Planning Consultants Inc. (Planner)
  • GUPM Construction Managers (General Contractor)

Jury Comments
The re-development of this former school into residential lofts is a good example of adaptive re-use. This is an important project for the area as it illustrates the vision of the West Harbour Secondary Plan. It is a successful example of meeting residential intensification targets in an area of transition. It should also be recognized for the treatment of the heritage building, at a time where schools of this era are being contemplated for closure and potentially demolition.

Project Description
This project is located within the historic Lister Building which was constructed in 1924 as an interior mall. It is situated on James Street North which is the centre of Hamilton’s growing Arts and Culture scene. It is a street front location which serves as a multi-faceted visitor, retail and event space. A restored original wood storefront and new custom millwork, unique finishes, lighting and displays provide a new identity for Tourism Hamilton. An interactive screen allows users to access information from the street front.

Jury Comments
The design of this multi-purpose unit honours the restoration work that was completed for the Lister Block, while injecting vibrancy through modern colours and materials. The design draws people to this storefront, which provides them with information on the James Street North experience, plus tourism within the City of Hamilton. This project also serves as an informal meeting place for the monthly Art Crawl.

Urban design isn’t just about buildings or spaces; it is also about how they are used. Contextually, this project is successful. It contributes to the vibrancy of the neighbourhood and acts as an entrance into the arts and culture district of James Street North. 

This project is awarded in recognition of Contextual Architecture, as the design of this project and storefront responds to and acknowledges its context within the Lister Block and James Street North. 

Interior of Tourism Hamilton Visitor Centre

Address: 28 James Street North, Hamilton
Owner: City of Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • ​TCA / Thier + Curran Architects Inc. (Architect)
  • APM Construction Services (General Contractor)
  • Factor(e) Design Initiative (Graphics)

Project Description
This park is located in Stoney Creek and is a National Historic Site of Canada. It was the location of the Battle of Stoney Creek during the War of 1812. This battle was an integral part in the history of the war and the history of Canada. The park was restored to recreate the original 1920’s commemorative Landscape Plan to mark the bicentennial of the war of 1812.

The original design was created by the Landscape Architect team of Howard and Lorrie Dunnington-Grubb. They were early practitioners of Landscape Architecture in Canada. They were proponents of the “City Beautiful Movement” which believed that enhanced civic spaces would produce better citizenry. The team also founded the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA) and Sheridan nurseries. 

The re-created plan includes conservation of archaeological, natural and cultural heritage aspects of the site. This includes: the Gage house gardens (formal and kitchen gardens plus pathways); the arrival courtyard (perimeter hedge), and Monument Hill slope (plantings on the terraces).

Battlefield Park

Address: 77 King Street West, Stoney Creek
Owner: City of Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • Alexander Budrevics & Associates Ltd. (Landscape Architecture)
  • MHBC Planning Ltd. (Cultural Heritage)
  • Pine Valley Enterprises Inc. (General Contractor)
  • Historic Horizon Inc. (Archaeology)

Jury Comments
The jury was impressed with the effort that the project team went to in order to restore this significant landscape. Great restraint was shown by restoring the original plan. The project has additional importance, as it represents one of the earliest landscape architectural designs in Canada by founding members of the profession.

This project is awarded in recognition of Excellence in Cultural Landscape. It is a new Award category that was especially created for the 2013 Urban Design and Architecture Awards program. The category was created in order to honour this project, which exemplifies the importance of culture, heritage and landscape.

Project Description
This project is part of a design thesis for a Masters of Landscape Architecture program. It explores the issue of how a municipality can address under-utilized sites such as vacant lands, surface parking lots and brownfields. The proposal is to provide a functional, interim use for such lands in the form of public open space, for the benefit of the community.

The project includes design and maintenance guidelines, plus the conceptual design of three sites within Canada. One site is located in Hamilton, within the downtown Beasley Neighbourhood. It is currently vacant land and surface parking . The site may also contain contaminated soil where former industrial uses once operated. 

The design proposal addresses the issue of soil contamination in a creative way. Affected areas will contain plants that provide phytoremediation. These plants have the ability to clean the air, soil and water. Portions of the site that are not contaminated are designed as passive open space. The use of paths, fences and strategically placed plantings lead people to the areas of the site that are suitable for recreation.

Emerald Park Concept Drawing

Address: 60-82 Catherine Street and 69-75 Mary street, Hamilton
Owner: City of Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • Leila F. Todd (Masters of Landscape Architecture Student, University of Guelph)

Jury Comments
The jury thought that the principle of phytoremediation within an urban context was excellent. The temporary nature of the project is appropriate since it can always be altered later. In the meantime, usable community space is provided rather than allowing lands to sit vacant and under-utilized.

It is also a low-cost and immediate solution for lands that may require long-term (and expensive) site remediation. The jury suggested that this concept could communicate that Hamilton is dedicated to addressing brownfields, and that it could potentially develop into a pilot project in the future. 

This project is awarded in recognition of Excellence in Environmental Design. It deals with the complex issue of pollution by providing short-term and positive uses for such lands.

Project Description
This church building is located in the Durand neighbourhood, south of downtown Hamilton. The building was constructed in 1882 as a Methodist Church and became the First Hamilton Christian Reformed Church in 1949. The project includes restoration of the building envelope and interior elements of the building. The original features of the exterior of the building have been retained, while the building systems and interior layout have been updated for improved energy efficiency and accessibility.

Jury Comments
The jury was impressed that the congregation undertook a restoration project of this scale. There are many congregations that are struggling to stay within their current places of worship, and so, it is refreshing to see that this congregation is thriving. The jury commends the project team for the time and effort that was put into conserving this heritage building, and renovating it in order that it can function into the future.

This project is awarded in recognition of Excellence in Heritage Conservation for the remarkable work that was done to maintain this historical building.

First Hamilton Christian Reformed Church

Address: 181 Charlton Avenue West, Hamilton
Owner: First Hamilton Christian Reformed Church
Architects & Contractors:

  • Invizij Architects and Garwood-Jones & Hanham Architects (Architects)
  • Merit Contractors Niagara (General Contractor)

Project Description
This historical building is located on James Street North within Hamilton’s growing arts and culture community. It was constructed in the 1920’s and originally housed a furniture store. The project consists of renovations and restorations to the building and converting it into a mixed-use, multi-tenant commercial building. The two ground floor tenants with street frontage contribute to the local arts and culture community: CBC Hamilton Studio and the Art Gallery of Hamilton’s Design Annex.

Jury Comments
The proportions of the new facade reflect the scale and rhythm of the older built form along the street. The unique character of the building is achieved by maintaining many of the heritage attributes, such as the stained glass windows, while injecting contemporary materials and design elements into the facade. The glazing at ground level was maximized to enliven the street and to encourage interaction. The building has a rejuvenating effect on the area. It exemplifies where Hamilton is going, that the City has turned a corner.

The project is awarded in recognition of Overall Excellence in Urban Design for its contributions to architecture, the urban environment, and local culture.

Exterior of 118 James Street North

Address: 118 James Street North, Hamilton
Owner: 118 James Street North Inc.
Architects & Contractors:

  • TCA / Thier + Curran Architects Inc. (Architect)
  • Paul Squissato Construction Ltd. (General Contractor)

Project Description
This site is located in the Strathcona neighbourhood, just east of Victoria Park. Phase 2 of this development consists of 156 affordable housing units within two eight-storey buildings. One building contains senior’s apartments with a main floor Wellness Centre. The other provides family apartments with main floor program and activity space. Each apartment building is located at the corner of the city block, and shares a courtyard space in the centre of the site.

Exterior of Good Shepherd Centre, Phase II

Address: 398 King Street West, Hamilton
Owner: The Good Shepherd Centre, Hamilton
Architects & Contractors:

  • TEAM/Thier + Curran Architects Inc. (Architect)
  • PMA Landscape Architects Ltd. (Landscape Architect)
  • Maple Reinders (General Contractor)

Jury Comments
This project demonstrates a thoughtful approach with respect to scaling and fitting a social housing facility into an existing neighbourhood. It embodies the value that quality of life is important for all citizens. The entire project encompasses the majority of a city block, and creates a campus setting where the various components are seamlessly integrated (i.e. women’s shelter, family housing, senior’s housing, wellness services, etc.).

The architectural design is not a prototypical “institutional” look. The exterior materials of the buildings reflect the existing brick residences in the area. The variation in colour, material and window sizes also aid in articulating the eight-storey forms. The first storey serves as a podium, creating a pedestrian scale to the buildings at grade. The second storey terrace provides amenity space for the residents. The entrances to each building are located at the corners of King Street, connecting people to transit.

The centralized courtyard contains mature trees around which the built form was organized. It also serves as a parkette for the community, opening up the site to the public.

This project is awarded in recognition of Overall Excellence in Urban Design. It is a successful example of a social housing development which responds to its context and creates a strong street presence along King Street West.

Owner: The Effort Trust Company & Silvestri Developments
Architects & Contractors:

  • Sam Esposto Architect Inc.
  • O’Connor Mokrycke Consultants
  • Don May Consulting
  • D & D Contracting Ltd.
Exterior of Winterberry Office Building