- Use the Search By-laws tool and enter a keyword (e.g. Fence) or a by-law number (e.g. 22-001).
- Narrow your search results by using the Category and Sort By filter options.
- Browse the search results. To view a PDF version, click on the by-law number and title of your choice.
The online listing is updated as City Council passes new by-laws.
Disclaimer: By-laws contained in this section have been prepared for the purpose of convenience only and are not certified true copies. Where available, office consolidated versions, combining the original By-law and any amendments, are provided for ease of use. For accurate reference, consult copies of the official By-laws and documents in the Records Division of the Office of the City Clerk.
For by-laws and documents that are not available in an electronic format, email [email protected].
The by-laws include those enacted, amended and repealed by City Council, as well as those enacted, amended and repealed by the Ontario Municipal Board, Ontario Land Tribunal or Local Planning Appeal Tribunal. The City of Hamilton provides online access to reference copies of current by-laws dating from 2004 to the present.
There may be one or more subject categories assigned to each by-law depending on context. Selecting a specific category can narrow your search.
By-laws are the official rules that define how the City is governed
To Appoint Hearing Officers Pursuant to the Administrative Penalty By-law No. 17-225 and to Repeal By-law No. 15-278
Repealed by Bylaw 22-271, December 7, 2022
Establish a system of administrative penalties for contraventions of City of Hamilton by-laws.
Repealing and replacing By-law No. 15-138.
Office Consolidation as of February 2022.
- Schedule “A” are appointed as Hearing Officers
Repeal By-law No. 19-172
No person shall park or stop a vehicle in contravention of Section 32(3), Section 32(4) or Section 32(5) of this By-law within a Special Enforcement Area.
- Schedule A (Table 15 By-law No. 17-127 Hamilton Vacant Building Registry)
- Schedule A (Table 14 By-law No. 10-221 Property Standards)
- Table 3 (By-law No. 01-218, To Regulate On-Street Parking)
- Table 7: By-law No. 21-121 Off Road Vehicle By-law
- Schedule A (Table 14 - By-law No. 10-221 Property Standards)
- Table 1 - By-law No. 01-216 Regulating Municipal Parking Facilities
- Table 2 - By-law No. 01-217 To Establish and Regulate Fire Routes
- Table 3 - By-law No. 01-218 Regulating On-Street Parking
- Table 4 - By-law No. 01-219 To Manage and Regulate Municipal Parks
- Table 5 - By-law No. 01-220 Regulating Parking on Private and Municipal Property
- Table 6 - By-law No. 80-179 Regulating Hess Village Pedestrian Mall
- Table 7 - By-law No. 16-009 Regulating Unauthorized Parking on Boulevards, Side Yards and Front Yards
- Table 8 - By-law No. 12-031 For Responsible Animal Ownership in the City of Hamilton
- Table 9 - By-law No. 12-130 To Regulate the Feeding of Wildlife
- Table 20 - By-law No. 19-286 Prohibiting and Regulating the Alteration of Property Grades, the Placing or Dumping of Fill, and the Removal of Topsoil
- Table 21 - By-law No. 07-160 To Prohibit the Unnecessary Idling of Vehicles within the City of Hamilton
To remove two parking related infractions from Schedule A.
- Schedule A, Table 23 – By-law No. 20-077 Public Nuisance By-law
- Table 16 - By-law No. 10-197 Hamilton Sign By-law
- Table 17 – By-law 86-077 Streets By-law
- Table 18 – By-law 15-051 Lottery Licensing
- Table 19 – By-law 18-199 – Prohibit Drive School Instruction in the Restricted Areas
- Table 13 – By-law No. 10-118 Yard Maintenance
- Schedule A (Table 8 - By-law No. 12-031 Responsible Animal Ownership in the City of Hamilton - Noise)
- Schedule A, Table 10 - By-law No. 07-170 License and Regulate Various Businesses
- Schedule A, Table 11 - By-law No. 11-285 Noise Control