The City of Hamilton’s Finance team also ensures that the City’s finances are managed in accordance with legislative and contractual requirements, and provides advice to Council, Committee and management.
Key financial objectives for the City of Hamilton include:
- Maintain a ‘AA’ Credit Rating
- Grow the non-residential property assessment base and maintain competitive residential property taxes (compared to other Ontario municipalities)
- Maintain competitive water, wastewater and stormwater residential rates (compared to other Ontario municipalities)
- Management of debt
- Management of discretionary reserves and obligatory reserve funds
- Maintain infrastructure assets to Council-directed service levels
- Management of liabilities
We align with the City's Strategic Priorities:
Our People & Performance
Strong financial management demonstrated by fiscal prudence, long-term financial plans, regular annual operating expenditure and revenue forecasts and policies for investments, debt and risk management provide Hamiltonians with a high level of trust and confidence in their City government.
Economic Prosperity & Growth
Strong financial management practices together with economic development decisions will facilitate a prosperous and diverse local economy where people have opportunities to grow and develop. For example, future infrastructure can be built and existing assets can be maintained with financing that is obtained at lower rates due to our strong credit rating and debt management policies.
- Date modified: