Expanding Digital Platforms with CityApp
The City of Hamilton now has a free mobile app available for Android and iOS and users through Google Play and App Store. Accessing information about garbage and recycling calendars, current events, local government info, social media and more has never been quicker.
After doing a scan of web metrics to find out what our residents are looking at - CityApp consolidates our most popular online, time-based and location relevant information. CityApp leverages existing data maintained on hamilton.ca and directs users to mobile optimized content and/or existing apps to help them accomplish their goal.
When users first download CityApp they are prompted to answer a series of start-up questions such as what area of Hamilton they live in and specific services or topics of interest. This allows the City to send out notifications of emergencies, closures, cancellations and service changes citywide or surrounding areas only.
What features are included in this first release of CityApp?
- Find and contact Councillors, easily add committee meetings to your smartphone calendar, check meeting agendas and watch videos of Council sessions.
- Access waste collection resources, including our interactive waste collection calendar and sorting tools.
- View and filter drop-in recreation schedules by date or location. Add classes to your calendar and get notifications when drop-in programs are cancelled or facilities have emergency closures.
- Browse job opportunities in the City.
- ‘Near Me’ GPS functionality - find local events and festival listings based upon distance from your current location
- Read our recent media releases.
- Check out City of Hamilton’s official Instagram, Twitter and YouTube channels.
Version 1.1 release notes:
- Added #HamiltonVotes18 section
- Added Sports & Fitness to drop-in recreation schedules
- Added General Interest & Social to drop-in recreation schedules
- Added pay a Red Light Camera notice/ticket
- Added HSRnow Twitter feed
- Updated distance options in Events filter
- Updated App Store age rating from 17+ to 4+
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the app require data or a WiFi signal?
Yes, you will need either a data plan or access to a WiFi signal for the app to work.
Is CityApp compatible with my smartphone?
CityApp is compatible with smart devices that meet the following requirements:
- iPhone 5 and above, running iOS 8 and above.
- Major Android device makers on Android 4.4 and above.
- Samsung Galaxy series phones
- LG G series phones
- Google Nexus and Pixel series phones
- HTC One series phones
Note: While Blackberry 10 devices running Android may work, we don’t guaranteed compatibility as Blackberry is not a major Android vendor.
Are there any in-app purchases required?
There is no cost to use the app. However, the app does provide access to online payment capabilities for some city services if you wish to use them
Do you collect any personal information?
Our service ensures user data protection by not collecting any end user identifying data, unless required to be relayed (then destroyed) to a 3rd party system operated by the City.
Our service can collect non-identifying end user information, such as notification preferences and end-user data interests allowing for useful demographic tracking against app usage and supporting the evolution of data sets against end user needs.
I’ve signed up for notifications - how can I opt out?
Users can change notification options or opt out by click on the Settings icon from the home screen, click on More Information and select/deselect options and click Submit.
Will there be more features added?
Yes, we are planning for future releases! Take the in-app feedback survey or complete the online form to make a suggestion.
Questions, trouble downloading or using the app? Send inquiries to [email protected]
- Date modified: