This notice is being provided as an update on the Woodward Avenue Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) Upgrade Project. This upgrade is one of the key projects under the City’s Clean Harbour Program. The Harbour is currently designated as a Federal Area of Concern (AOC) and this project will play a significant role in achieving the goal of delisting in the future. The project will involve a multi-phase plan to upgrade the treatment plant. The completion of this project will see:
- The addition of a new third level of treatment which will increase the processing of the plant’s treated wastewater. This new process will allow the plant to reach discharge targets set by the Hamilton Harbour Remedial Action Plan to reduce the impact to the Harbour.
- The total budget for this project is $340 million. $200 million of the budget comes from the provincial and federal governments through the Green Infrastructure Fund.
During construction, the City will monitor work and the associated impacts to the surrounding community including vehicle flows, dirt and dust accumulation, noise and odours and other potential impacts.
- Larger trucks will be accessing the site using the main entrance off Woodward Avenue.
- The City estimates that up to 20 trucks per hour will be entering the site at peak times.
- There will be up to 300 workers on site daily throughout the project. Contractors will be using Woodward Avenue and Brampton Street to access the staff parking/staging area. The staging area will be located at the end of Brampton Street and Rennie Street and contractors will be shuttled to and from the site.
- On-street parking will not be impacted by this project.
- Construction on the plant will began in July 2017 and will extend until 2022.
- The City’s contractor will be moving equipment to the treatment plant and preparing for construction activities related to the plant upgrade. Trucks will be delivering materials, equipment and site office trailers.
- Work is currently underway to construct the new site entrance off Woodward Avenue. The entrance is scheduled to be completed by September 2017.
- Excess fill that is removed during the construction of the new entrance will be stored in the gravel area at the southeast corner of Globe Park until the end of this year.
- As you travel along Woodward Avenue, you may notice that additional signage has been placed along the road. This signage will be in place throughout the duration of the project and is intended to assist with directing vehicle traffic.
Noise and Odour
During construction, you may experience intermittent noise, dust and/or odours. The City will make efforts to minimize these impacts and will sweep the streets as required.
Impacts to Globe Dog Park Free Running Area
- In order to protect you and your furry friends, the dog park free running area located in the southeast end of the Woodward Avenue WWTP, at the end of Brampton Street, will be restricted to allow for completion of electrical work.
- Closures are currently anticipated to take place in June 2018. More specific dates will be provided once the construction schedule is finalized.
What else is happening at Woodward?
- Restoring the appearance of the Methane Globe
- Biosolids Management Project
- Constructing the Corrosion Control building
Community Liaison Committee
The Woodward Treatment Plant Upgrade Project has a dedicated Community Liaison Committee (CLC). The committee is made up of local members of the community and City staff. The CLC serves as a forum for the exchange of information between the City and representatives from the project community. The CLC focuses on the ‘how’ to assist in informing, engaging and hearing the community during all phases of the project. If you are interested in learning more about the CLC or becoming a member, you may contact us:
- Phone: 905-546-2489
- For questions or concerns regarding vehicle traffic, temporary parking, street sweeping, noise or the impacts to the Globe Dog Park free running area please call:
- Hamilton Water Customer Service: 905-546-2489 (reference Woodward construction)
- For questions or concerns regarding odour please call:
- The Woodward WWTP Process Supervisor: 905-546-2424 extension 1086
- Date modified: