Preliminary Investigation Work
Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE) and Geoscience Investigations
In preparation for Hamilton LRT, a team will begin conducting an investigation to determine the location and depth of existing utilities. This includes water, storm and sanitary sewer main lines, hydro, gas, telecommunications, etc. The team will also be investigating soil, rock and groundwater conditions through various geoscience works.
Activities will include surveying, borehole drilling, CCTV inspection of sewer lines, locating and measuring depth of utilities, and excavating small test pits to obtain additional information on underground utilities and ground conditions.
What work is taking place
- Crews will utilize pipe and cable locating equipment which identifies the location of utilities. Non-invasive methods of excavation atop existing utilities will also be used to determine their exact positions for design purposes.
- Crews conducting geotechnical, hydrogeological and environmental investigations will use drill rigs to collect samples for analysis. Restoration will occur as required.
- This work began in early August 2016,and will continue east across the corridor to Eastgate between now and early 2018.
- Investigations will generally be conducted between the hours of 7 am to 4 pm. Some work may occur during off-peak hours to mitigate traffic congestion.
- Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
What to expect
- Nearby residents and businesses can expect to hear some noise caused by drill rigs, core drills, hydro-vac trucks, and equipment used to flush sewer lines.
- Intermittent lane reductions will be required to locate utilities and drill boreholes within the roadway.
- Pedestrian and property access will be maintained.
- As always, please take care when travelling near work sites.
Where we are: current notices in effect
|Section of corridor||Timeline||What to expect|
Kingsmount to Queenston Circle
Phase 3: Preliminary Investigation Works (PDF, 503 KB)
|March 2017 (ongoing)||Construction crews and equipment will be present in the vicinity of Main Street W. from Kingsmount Street, through the downtown core along King Street, to the Queenston Circle on Main Street E. Work will also be undertaken along Longwood Road S., south of Main near the future Operations, Maintenance and Storage Facility site.|
|Queenston Road (PDF, 288.6 KB)||June 2017 (ongoing)||Construction crews and equipment will be present in the vicinity of Queenston Road, from Strathearne Avenue to Centennial Parkway. There may also be presence along intersecting feeder streets.|
Who to contact
Jamie Bradburn, T2 Utility Engineers
Sarat Ponapalli, AECOM
Kelsey Ewart, Metrolinx
Thank you for your patience as we work to build this important project.
- Date modified: