Our Future Hamilton is a collaborative place where...
- People work together and make a positive impact on the community.
- Citizens are consulted and involved in making the decisions that impact them.
- A passion and sense of pride for the city exists among residents, driving volunteerism and community-based initiatives.
Community participation & engagement
- Work to remove barriers that prevent and discourage women and visible minorities from becoming community leaders.
- Ensure that all people have the ability and opportunity to add their voice to community conversations about issues that affect them.
- Support community-based initiatives, volunteerism and grassroots movements.
- Involve youth in decision-making and community development.
- Support and promote experiential learning, civic engagement, work experience and volunteer programs for postsecondary students.
Openness & access to information
- Provide easy access to information about government operations and services.
- Increase access to information about the programs offered by key community institutions and organizations.
- Increase participation in City decision-making and promote the importance of inclusive community engagement.
- Celebrate Hamilton’s history, people and achievements.
- Foster pride among Hamiltonians for their city and identity.
Signs of success
- People are well-informed about important government and community decisions,
- People participate in community and civic initiatives,
- More Hamilton residents are voting in elections,
- Leaders reflect the diversity of the community,
- People volunteer for local organizations and causes,
- Young people are actively involved in their community,
- Governments and community institutions embrace a culture of openness and transparency,
- Engagement with residents is informed by Hamilton's Public Engagement Charter (PDF, 3.63 MB).
- Date modified: