Our Future Hamilton is an ambitious place where...
- People successfully provide for themselves and their families and have opportunities to grow and develop.
- Residents can work in the city in one of the increasing number of quality, well-paying local jobs.
- A prosperous and diverse local and regional economy benefits all residents.
Strong local economy
- Attract and retain new industries and innovative businesses.
- Remove barriers for people starting and running a business.
- Encourage people to support local businesses that contribute to the success of our economy.
- Keep tax rates competitive to attract and retain businesses.
- Keep public debt sustainableFiscal sustainability, or public finance sustainability, is the ability of a government to sustain its current spending, tax and other policies in the long run without threatening government solvency or defaulting on some of its liabilities or promised expenditures. and taxes low for residents.
Postsecondary institutions and businesses collaborate with the city, contributing to the success of our economy.
Farming & agriculture
- Support and promote local farming.
- Protect agricultural land.
- Sustain food production, processing and distribution systems that contribute to economic development.
- Inspire diverse employment opportunities in Hamilton so people can work locally rather than commute to a job in another city.
- Identify and remove employment barriers and provide opportunities for all.
- Ensure childcare is available for parents and guardians so they can participate in the work force.
Employment & skills development
- Provide education, training and skill development programs that help people reach their goals and find rewarding careers.
- Advance and promote the role of educational institutions as key contributors to innovation, entrepreneurship and community development.
- Develop and use technology to increase access to education for all ages.
- Nurture ambitious career and life aspirations in people from a young age.
- Ensure that young people receive education that prepares them for good jobs.
- Ensure that all children have access to learning that leads to success at school and in life.
Signs of success
- Poverty rates are low,
- High school graduation rates are at or above the provincial average,
- The unemployment rate for young people is decreasing,
- Technology is used to advance access to education,
- Children are thriving in school and at home,
- Governments and community institutions collaborate to end poverty,
- Residents are able to work locally,
- People are earning a living wage,
- Affordable childcare is available for everyone who needs it,
- More people are working in secure jobs,
- Local businesses are thriving,
- Hamilton is less reliant on the residential tax base to find municipal services,
- Farmers are successful.
- Date modified: