Was your home hit hard by the recent heavy rainfall on April 20, 2017, causing flooding to your basement?
Our Future Hamilton is a caring place where...
- People lead happy lives in safe neighbourhoods and friendly communities.
- We all have access to the services and supports we need to be healthy and active.
- Our city is safe and inviting, and people continue to work together to take care of and support each other.
- Create an environment that promotes active and healthy living to support a high quality of life for residents.
- Improve the health of Hamiltonians by actively working to address the social determinants of healthThe social determinants of health influence the health of populations. They include income and social status; social support networks; education; employment/working conditions; social environments; physical environments; personal health practices and coping skills; healthy child development; gender; and culture..
- Encourage all food providers to offer local nutritious food options, education and information about nutrition.
- Support people to be free from drug, cigarette and alcohol addictions.
- Facilitate physical and economic access to healthy, locally sourced and nutritious food for residents.
- Provide outdoor and indoor recreation spaces to people in all parts of Hamilton.
- Provide opportunities for people of all ages, abilities and income levels to participate in sports and activities.
- Make it easy for people to be physically active by providing safe routes for walking and biking around the city.
- Integrate the healthcare system to make it easy for people to navigate.
- Provide advocacy, support and treatment for people experiencing mental health challenges and addictions.
- Facilitate access for people to healthcare services in a timely manner.
Safe caring communities
- Encourage police and community members to work together to keep neighbourhoods safe and inviting.
- Foster a respectful, caring culture among people for their community so that people take care of their own, and each other’s property.
- Respect and support people on social assistance.
- Provide sufficient, affordable and good quality social housing.
- Support development that provides affordable housing options for people of all income levels and needs across all neighbourhoods.
- Advocate for safe, clean and affordable places for renters to live.
- Encourage communities to support home and healthcare facilities for the aging.
Signs of success
- People eat healthy food,
- People lead active lifestyles,
- Less crime, people feel safe in their homes, streets and neighbourhoods,
- People have timely access to healthcare services,
- Supports are available for people with mental health issues and addictions,
- Fewer people use tobacco products,
- Homelessness has been eliminated or substantially reduced in Hamilton.
- Reliance on social assistance programs has decreased.
- Those who rely on social assistance do not live in poverty.
- Social housing wait lists are short.
- Housing is affordable and there is a variety of housing options.
- Date modified: