Update: Two down-bound lanes open for Claremont Access. Sherman Access is reduced to one lane.
Our Future Hamilton is a people friendly place where...
- The quality of life, well-being and enjoyment of its residents influences design and planning
- It is easy to get around our city and Hamilton’s transportation systems are well-connected regionally.
- Hamilton is connected to its rich history through architecture.
- Public spaces are well maintained and vibrant, with greenspace and attractions for residents and visitors.
- Neighbourhoods have a variety of homes and amenities.
- Develop complete streets that meet the needs of pedestrians, cyclists, transit users, motorists and movement of goods.
- Create a well-connected transportation network that allows people to get around conveniently without a car.
- Ensure strong transit connections to postsecondary institutions and other significant locations to support accessibility for member of our community and enable growth.
- Build and adapt public infrastructure and buildings to withstand extreme weather events.
- Construct and renovate buildings to meet environmental standards.
Building & development
- Design and modify streets and buildings that are safe and accessible for people of all physical abilities and ages.
- Preserve and re-purpose heritage buildings.
- Consider the impact of urban sprawl in planning decisions.
- Develop mixed-use neighbourhoods where it is easy to walk to everyday destinations.
- Develop neighbourhoods that have a variety of housing options.
Identify opportunities to expand the presence and impact of postsecondary institutions in ways that serve and support our community.
- Provide well-maintained public spaces that serve as places for community activity.
- Collectively care for shared spaces.
- Build a vibrant waterfront with greenspace and attractions for locals and visitors to enjoy.
Build and maintain parks, trails and beaches for all residents to enjoy.
Signs of success
- We drive less and walk, bike or use public transportation,
- Heritage buildings are re-purposed,
- The intensity of urban land use has increased,
- Public spaces are beautiful and well used,
- Infrastructure is maintained,
- Hamilton has more greenspaces including parks, trails and beaches,
- Greenspaces and public parks are close to home.
- Date modified: