A collection of all West Harbour documents in one convenient spot. Check back often as we continually add new documents.
Community engagement (agendas, minutes & presentations)
Sept. 29, 2016: Agenda (PDF, 118 KB) | Minutes (PDF, 276 KB) | Presentation (PDF, 773 KB) | Pier 8 Solicitation Process - Summer workshop results (PDF, 584 KB)
May 26, 2016: Agenda (PDF, 208 KB) | Minutes (PDF, 217 KB) | Light Rail Transit Presentation (PDF, 2 MB) | Pier 8 Re-zoning and Subdivision Application - Applicant Perspective Presentation (PDF, 793 KB) | Pier 8 Re-zoning and Subdivision Application - City of Hamilton Planning Department Perspective Presentation (PDF, 860 KB)
Pier 7 &8 UD Study Meeting - May 2, 2016: Presentation (PDF, 16 MB) | Pier 7 & 8 Urban Design Study (PDF, 30 MB) | Appendix A - Public Consultation (PDF, 21 MB) | Appendix B - Design Checklist (PDF, 176 KB)
Mar. 31, 2016: Agenda (PDF, 288 KB) | Minutes (PDF, 274 KB) | Small group discussion notes (PDF, 518 KB) | West Harbour Community Consultation Presentation (PDF, 4.2 MB) | West Harbour Vision Statement Draft Presentation (PDF, 86 KB)
Feb. 25, 2016: Agenda (PDF, 100 KB) | Minutes (PDF,122 KB) | West Harbour Community Consultation Presentation (PDF, 839 KB) | Deloitte West Harbour Real Estate Affordable Housing Strategy Presentation (PDF, 546 KB) | Vision worksheet responses (PDF, 308 KB) | Affordable Housing worksheet responses (PDF, 218 KB)
Sub-Committee - Feb. 9, 2016: Capital Works Update (PDF, 3 MB) | West Harbour Vision Presentation (PDF, 5 MB) | Deloitte West Harbour Real Estate Draft Report Presentation (PDF, 2 MB)
Pier 7&8 UD Workshop - Dec. 9, 2015: Agenda (PDF, 85 KB) | Worksheet (PDF, 44 KB) | Workshop handout (PDF, 4 MB) | Concept Overview - Pier 8 Presentation (PDF, 2 MB) | Transportation and Parking Study- Piers 5-8 Presentation (PDF, 1 MB)
Nov. 26, 2015: Agenda (PDF, 80 KB) | Minutes (PDF, 325 KB) | West Harbour Waterfront Redevelopment Update Presentation (PDF, 2 MB) | West Harbour Investment Guide Presentation (PDF, 6 MB)
Engagement Strategy Workshop - May 28, 2015: Summary report (PDF 2 MB)
Guiding documents for community engagement
Design Competition for Pier 8 Promenade Park
- Pier 8 Promenade Park Limited Design Competition Information Report (PED17081)
- Pier 8 Promenade Park Design Competition Presentation (PED17081)
Pier 8 Zoning By-law and Draft Plan of Subdivision
Capital Works/Technical Reports
- West Harbour Waterfront Projects Update, November 2015 (PDF, 2 MB)
- West Harbour Investment Guide (PDF, 10 MB)
Bayfront Beach Study
Pier 8 commercial & residential development
Pier 7 & 8 Draft Plan of Subdivision and Zoning application docs
The City of Hamilton’s Waterfront Development Office has applied to amend a zoning by-law and submitted a draft plan of subdivision for city-owned lands located at Piers 6, 7 and 8 - 65 Guise Street East in Hamilton (Ward 2).
- Location map (PDF, 544 KB) - Location of the land that will be impacted by this application.
- Circulation letter (PDF, 35 KB) - Sent to residents living within 120 metres of the affected area to notify them of the proposal and give them an opportunity to provide feedback.
- Proposed Draft Plan of Subdivision (PDF, 4 MB) - A simplified version showing the proposed land uses for each area of the new community.
- Detailed Proposed Draft Plan of Subdivision (PDF, 3 MB) - A detailed version showing the proposed land uses for each area of the new community.
- Application for Draft Plan of Subdivision (PDF, 764 KB) - Prepared by the Waterfront Development Office’s independent consultant, WEBB Planning Consultants, to outline details of the proposed plan.
- Application for zoning by-law amendment (PDF, 509 KB) - Prepared by WEBB Planning Consultants, to change the zoning of the land to allow for new residential, commercial and community uses.
Pier 6-8 Subdivision and Rezoning Technical Reports
These studies were completed to help City staff understand the unique features of Pier 7 & 8 and determine what work will need to be done to make sure the land is suitable for residential use:
- Archaeological Report (PDF, 6 MB)
- Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment (PDF, 6 MB)
- Dust and Odour Impact Assessment (PDF, 2 MB)
- Environmental Impact Statement (PDF, 3 MB)
- Environmental Site Assessment (PDF, 2 MB)
- Functional Servicing Report (PDF, 14 MB)
- Noise and Vibration Impact Study (PDF, 1 MB)
- Parking Study (PDF, 673 KB)
- Traffic Impact Assessment (PDF, 2 MB)
- Transportation Demand Management Report (PDF, 2 MB)
- Summary of Parking Study, Traffic Impact Assessment and Transportation Demand Management Reports (PDF,3 MB)
- Wave Analysis (PDF, 1 MB)
- Planning Justification Report (PDF, 773 KB)
Land Solicitation process
Pier 6-8 public realm investments
- Infrastructure upgrades to the marina between Pier 4 and Pier 8 (the main basin) include:
- the replacement of marina docks
- reconstruction of pier walls along Discovery Drive
- construction of new docks to provide space for visiting boaters
Hamilton Harbour Beaches Water Quality Investigations
The Bayfront Park beach was originally intended as a place for Hamiltonians to enjoy water-based activities. The beach was closed for the 2016 swimming season. Recent studies have shown that the poor water quality at the Bayfront Park beach is a result of high levels of bacteria introduced to both the water and the sand from waterfowl droppings.
The City of Hamilton and the Hamilton Waterfront Trust are completing a study about water quality issues and concerns at Bayfront Park beach in order to identify options for improving the beach area. The study began in summer 2016 and results and recommendations are expected in early 2017.
Phase 1 - Public Consultation
To better understand how the public feel about the beach, the City of Hamilton conducted a survey in September 2016 to ask members of the public how they use the beach today and how they would like to use it in the future. Over 400 people completed the survey and the responses indicated that many community members hope to be able to swim at the beach in the future. The survey results will be used to help determine the community’s preferred alternative for the future of the beach and build community support for the project.
View the Phase 1 Public Consultation survey results (PDF, 802 KB).
West Harbour in the news
Six design teams shortlisted to participate in the Pier 8 Promenade Park Design Competition
COH News Release, May 31, 2017
"It has to be beautiful": City holds contest to design new Promenade Park
CBC News, April 5, 2017
Pier 8 Promenade Park approved for spring 2018 opening
COH News Release, April 3, 2017
High lake levels won’t scupper Pier 8 development
The Hamilton Spectator, May 19, 2017
Will 'holy grail' help Bayfront Beach make a splash again?
The Hamilton Spectator, Apr. 24, 2017
West Harbour: $143-million plan for a Pier 8 to Bayfront makeover
The Hamilton Spectator, March 11, 2017
Redeveloped West Harbour ‘shall’ include affordable housing: council
The Hamilton Spectator - November 2, 2016
Pier 8 to include 5% affordable housing
AM900 CHML - November 2, 2016
Affordable housing to be part of west harbour developer bids
CBC Hamilton - November 2, 2016
Finding a private partner for developing Hamilton’s Pier 8
The Hamilton Spectator - October 11, 2016
Video: Randle Reef Hamilton Sediment Remediation Project - Phase 1
Bermingham Foundation Solutions - August 18, 2016
West Harbour plans are moving forward
CHCH News - August 18, 2016
Pier 8 parking, traffic questions linger
The Hamilton Spectator - August 18, 2016
Hamilton's waterfront has a new boardwalk and docks
CBC Hamilton - June 20, 2016
Hamilton unveils its new waterfront Pier 7 boardwalk
The Hamilton Spectator - June 20, 2016
Randle Reef Contaminated Sediment Remediation Project
Environment & Climate Change Canada - June 8, 2016
Hamilton's ambitious development plan, down by the bay
The Hamilton Spectator - April 26, 2016
Randle Reef project getting a spring boost
The Hamilton Spectator - March 21, 2016
Bayfront Beach deemed 'not suitable' for recreation, says Public Health
CBC Hamilton - March 17, 2016
Plan to sell North End lands seems like a done deal, residents say
CBC Hamilton - February 26, 2016
Can’t find the information you’re looking for? Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Date modified: