Hamilton Food Literacy Network
The Hamilton Food Literacy Network is a coalition of Hamilton partners who are involved in food literacy actions – from growing food, preparing food, to providing food and nutrition education programs. The Network is open to anyone interested in capacity building, information sharing, and enhancing Hamiltonians’ ability to access community-based food literacy programs. The Network, along with Public Health Dietitians, host Hamilton Food Literacy Month to showcase food inspired events that encourage everyone to get out, connect with other people who are passionate about food, and explore our City.
Food literacy includes interconnected attributes organized into five categories:
- Food and Nutrition Knowledge about healthy eating, where food comes from, and understanding how nutrition can affect health
- Food Skills to be able to prepare healthy and safe meals
- Self-efficacy and Confidence to believe and apply knowledge and skills to prepare and choose healthy food choices
- Ecological (external) factors, such as the food system, culture or socio-economic status that influence eating
- Food Decisions that shape eating behaviour
Food Literacy Month
The Hamilton Food Strategy vision is “a city with a sustainable food system where all people at all times have economic and physical access to enough safe, nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences.” One of the four goals of the Food Strategy is to “increase food literacy to promote healthy eating and empower all residents.” Food Literacy Month celebrates and promotes our community working toward this vision and goal by providing a platform to showcase food literacy activities, events, and/or celebrations throughout the City of Hamilton.
Food Literacy Month is on from October 1st to 31st. This month-long celebration of food encourages Hamiltonians to get out, connect with other people who are passionate about food, and explore their community.
Check out the Food Literacy Event Listing below and start planning your food literacy adventure!
Food Literacy Event Listing
Promotion and Social Media Messaging Tips
- Date modified: