One of the goals for Hamilton’s Food Strategy is to increase food literacy to promote healthy eating and empower all Hamiltonians. To help reach this goal, the Hamilton Food Literacy Network launched the first annual Hamilton Food Literacy Month in October 2018.
Hamilton Food Literacy Network
The Hamilton Food Literacy Network is a coalition of Hamilton partners who are involved in food literacy actions – from growing food, preparing food, to providing food and nutrition education programs. The Network is open to anyone interested in capacity building, information sharing, and enhancing Hamiltonians’ ability to access community-based food literacy programs. The Network, along with Public Health Dietitians, host Hamilton Food Literacy Month to showcase food inspired events that encourage everyone to get out, connect with other people who are passionate about food, and explore our City.
Food literacy includes interconnected attributes organized into five categories:
- Food and Nutrition Knowledge about healthy eating, where food comes from, and understanding how nutrition can affect health
- Food Skills to be able to prepare healthy and safe meals
- Self-efficacy and Confidence to believe and apply knowledge and skills to prepare and choose healthy food choices
- Ecological (external) factors, such as the food system, culture or socio-economic status that influence eating
- Food Decisions that shape eating behaviour
Food Literacy Month
The Hamilton Food Strategy vision is “a city with a sustainable food system where all people at all times have economic and physical access to enough safe, nutritious food to meet their dietary needs and food preferences.” One of the four goals of the Food Strategy is to “increase food literacy to promote healthy eating and empower all residents.” Food Literacy Month celebrates and promotes our community working toward this vision and goal by providing a platform to showcase food literacy activities, events, and/or celebrations throughout the City of Hamilton.
Become a Partner in Food Literacy
The Hamilton Food Literacy Network is excited to announce our second annual Food Literacy Month is happening this October. Food Literacy Month promotes healthy eating and empowers residents through various food inspired activities. In 2018, there were 70 activities registered, and we hope to match or surpass that number in 2019! By registering your activity, you will be a partner in promoting food literacy along with the City of Hamilton, local organizations, and community members from all parts of the food system.
Event Criteria and Examples
Register Your Food Literacy Month Activity
Everyone and anyone can host an activity as long as it meets the criteria.
Register your event by September 9th to be added to the event listings. Once you submit your application, the Hamilton Food Literacy Network will review the information and confirm your registration using the email or phone number you provide on the application. Once approved, your activity and organization will be included in the event listings. We encourage you to register your event as early as possible to be included in promotional material and social media promotions. You are also encouraged to do your own promotion to drive people to join your activity.
Please submit a completed application, edits may not be possible once submitted. To help you prepare, here are some important event details to confirm before registering:
- What is your event? Describe your activity or event including the purpose, list anything you might want participants to bring
- What is the date and time of your activity?
- How does your activity align with the Food Literacy Month criteria?
- Who should attend your activity/event, for example, children, families, or another group?
- Is there a cost to participate or is it free?
Promotion and Social Media Messaging Tips
- Date modified: