Claremont update: Second down-bound lane opening Wednesday, full down-bound closure Tuesday evening
The Hamilton Music Strategy (PDF, 25 MB) celebrates "all things music" in Hamilton. It guides the activities of its partners to create and nurture an environment where music and the music industry flourishes, grows and prospers.
The success of Hamilton's Music Strategy depends on multiple partners working together to realize a common vision. The City of Hamilton, the local music industry and Hamilton's musicians have significant yet different roles in implementing the Strategy.
Music Strategy Goals
1. Strengthen the local music industry
Link with other major music initiatives, strategies and cities.
- Examine the feasibility of "twinning" Hamilton with another major music city.
- Seek funding and alignment opportunities for Hamilton within the Ontario Live Music Strategy.
- Provide Hamilton representation to the Ontario Music Strategy Industry Working Group.
- Assess the resources needed to participate in the proposed provincial music portal and provide content as appropriate.
- Bid to host significant music industry events ie. JUNO Awards.
- Co-ordinate strategic efforts to develop the music industry with neighbouring municipalities.
Build connections within the music scene.
- Review options for the industry and/or musicians to formally organize e.g., advisory Music Commission, council, industry association, artist co-operative and network (e.g., Seattle, Washington)
Embed music in City of Hamilton initiatives.
- Provide music industry-related input into the development of the City's 2014-2018 Economic Development Strategy.
- Align with the other key City policies, plans and initiatives e.g., culture plan, events strategy
- Provide input into the review and Development of municipal arts funding models e.g., City of Hamilton's Arts Investment Strategy and Community Partnership Program (CPP) review.
- Includes music programming in local Pan Am Games activities.
Provide tools to support music business development.
- Create a City of Hamilton Music Office in the Tourism & Culture Division, Planning and Economic Development Department.
- Conduct and share research on local music industry (e.g., economic impact, workforce and market).
- Link small music businesses and entrepreneurs to available services such as the City of Hamilton's Small Business Enterprice Centre and cultural service organizations.
Remove barriers to live music presentation.
- Identify and examine City bylaws and regulations that are barriers to the local music industry and mitigrate where possible.
2. Grow audiences and appreciation of music
Brand Hamilton as a music city.
- Develop a music-based brand and brand strategy (and marketing plan) for Hamilton Music Strategy.
- Create and/or participate in provincial, regional and local cultural tourism product development and promotion related to music.
Promote local music.
- As part of a potential local branding initiative, identify mechanisms and tactics for promoting defined aspects of the local music scene e.g., locals musicians, businesses, performances, events and festivals.
- Adopt a broad and inclusive approach to music with consideration to genre, cultural diversity, and levels of competency in the Music Strategy and its implementation.
- Identify key music districts in Hamilton for branding, destination marketing and business development.
3. Increase access to music experiences
Promote live music throughout the City. Encourage a diversity of venues for music.
- Produce new opportunities for music experiences.
- Complete an industry needs assessment and inventory of venues.
- Develop or facilitate the creation of diverse venues for live music.
4. Cultivate music creation and talent
Celebrate Hamilton's music legacy and potential.
- Support, participate in, and grow locatl to national recognition and celebration initiatives e.g., Hamilton Music Awards, City of Hamilton Art Awards, Tourism Awards, JUNOs.
- Link with City of Hamilton Cultural Plan asset-based initiatives e.g., storytelling project, asset mapping and Love your City.
Involve youth in the music industry.
- Facilitate and promote youth contact with and placements in the music industry.
Encourage strong music education.
- Advocate to, and work with, education providers to expand lifelong music education opportunities.
For more information on the Hamilton Music Strategy, read the Music Strategy Background Document (PDF, 4.8 MB).
For more information contact:
Music & Film Office
28 James Street North (Lister Building)
- Date modified: