In 2008, the City of Hamilton prepared a strategy for managing its portfolio of major recreation infrastructure, formally referred to as the Use, Renovation and Replacement Study for Hamilton Recreation and Public-use Facilities. This long-range study identified factors impacting the use and condition of current facilities, examined future facility needs, and proposed a series of recommendations for the future renewal, repurposing, and development of Community/Recreation Centres, Indoor Pools, Seniors’ Centres, Arenas, Community Halls, and Outdoor Pools.
Facilities that are accessible, efficient, and high quality help to foster active, engaged, and healthy residents
The City has made good progress with a number of the Study’s recommendations, while others have proved to be more challenging for a variety of reasons. Given changes in community composition, development patterns, activity trends, and facility requirements, the time has come for the Study to be updated. An updated strategy will provide City Council with a framework to guide future facility investment decisions.
The first phase of work will help us to understand the key trends and factors that have changed since the 2008 was prepared. This will be accomplished largely through input from the public and local stakeholders. Future phases of work will result in a re-imagined strategy for the management and future provision of major recreation facilities. A separate strategy relative to outdoor parks facilities and sports fields was prepared in 2011 and is not part of this initial scope of work.
How you can get involved
Your input is important to getting it right! Residents and stakeholders are encouraged to provide input in the following ways:
- Questionnaires to be distributed to local stakeholders and users of major City recreation facilities - ongoing.
- Random sample telephone survey of Hamilton residents was conducted in 2015 to better understand resident needs and priorities.
In total, 804 interviews were completed. The margin of error is ±3.5%, accurate 19 times out of 20.
Public information sessions
Phase 1: Public Information Centre presentation & display boards (PDF, 3 MB)
Learn about public engagement opportunities, what we heard about recreation during Our Future Hamilton activities and details from the household telelphone survey results.
- Harry Howell Arena (new)
- Morgan Firestone Arena (additional ice pad)
- Beasley Community Centre (redeveloped)
- Westmount Recreation Centre (rebuilt)
- Birge, Coronation, Green Acres, Inch Park, Rosedale & Walker Outdoor Pools (rebuilt and new)
- Stoney Creek Recreation Centre (new)
- Flamborough Seniors Centre (new)
- Winona Community Centre – temporary (renovation)
- Greensville and Beverly halls (planned)
- Recreation & Seniors’ Centre at former Scott Park School (planned)
If you have any questions about this study or ways that you can provide input, please contact:
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 3859
- Date modified: