Hamilton’s Neighbourhood Action Strategy (NAS) is focused on helping neighbourhoods be great places to live, work, play and learn. NAS supports community planning teams as they develop and implement action plans that build healthier communities.
Through partnerships with businesses, Provincial and Federal governments and non-profit organizations, the NAS aligns existing resources and supports additional relationships that help these neighbourhoods meet their goals.
Contracted Partner for Community Development
Social Planning & Research Council
The (RE)IMAGINE Project is looking at ways for the Neighbourhood Action Strategy to move forward as a relevant, effective, sustainable and supportive resource for residents and their neighbourhoods now and into the future. For further information and phase-appropriate updates, click here.
Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program
The City of Hamilton, through its Neighbourhood Action Strategy, is offering a Neighbourhood Engagement Matching Grant Program (NEMGP). This program provides one-time matching funds to support neighbourhood and place-based grassroots initiatives across all neighbourhoods in the City.
Small Grants Toolkit
Small projects can be a great way to reach out to residents in your neighbourhood. This funding is not for ongoing programs in your neighbourhood, but a way to get new ideas and people working together on projects in your neighbourhood/hub. Each neighbourhood/hub has up to $5,000 to spend on local projects. Each project or activity can apply for up to $1,500 per project per year.
Neighbourhood action plans and meetings
City staff, residents and other key stakeholders are working together to create neighbourhood action plans that communicate a clear vision for the future of the neighbourhood and describe specific projects that can be implemented, are achievable, and have widespread community support. These plans are being developed in six neighbourhoods identified by Council as priority areas, as well as five other areas that have been supported in the past by the Hamilton Community Foundation's neighbourhood investments.
To be added to the agenda for a community team meeting, please contact community developer assigned to your community.
Community team meetings
As an on-going support to residents, businesses and organizations in neighbourhoods, community developers help connect people to their neighbourhood and help neighbourhoods plan for their future development. Our current team of community developers are:
Judy Kloosterman, Community Developer - Davis Creek & Keith
Phone: 905-522-1148 ext.108
Laura Ryan, Community Developer - McQuesten & Rolston
Phone: 905-522-1148 ext.110
Matt Thompson, Community Developer - Sherman
Nazia Zeb, Community Developer - Riverdale & GALA
Phone: 905-522-1148 ext.112
Sunil Angrish,Community Developer - Stinson
Phone: 905-522-1148 ext.109
Renée Wetselaar, Senior Social Planner - Crown Point, Jamesville & Beasley
Phone: 905-522-1148 ext.118
Reports & documents
Emergency & Community Services Committee
- November 9, 2015 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Update 2015 (PDF)
- March 9, 2015 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy Project Fund (PDF)
- February 23, 2015 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy Project Update (PDF)
General Issues Committee
- September 17, 2014 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Update 2014 (PDF)
- June 18, 2014 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy City-Wide Initiatives (PDF)
- March 19, 2014 - Neighbourhood Home Improvement Project (PDF)
- February 5, 2014 - Neighbourhood Action Plans for Crown Point and Gibson Landsdale (PDF)
- November 6, 2016 - Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Report Update (PDF)
- 2016 Annual Report (PDF, 8 MB)
- 2016 Small Grants Toolkit (PDF, 2 MB)
- Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Update for 2015 (PDF, 5.18 MB)
- Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Update for 2014 (PDF, 3.42 MB)
Neighbourhood Action Strategy Annual Update for 2013 (PDF, 3.61 MB)
- Working Together: Examining Employment, Education, and Training Strategies for the Jamesville, Beasley, and Keith Neighbourhoods, May 2014 (PDF, 1.63 MB)
Urban Agriculture Policy, Planning, and Practice Report, May 2013 (PDF, 1.02 MB)
- Neighbourhood Action Strategy Boundaries Map (PDF, 4.28 MB)
- Neighbourhood Action Strategy Photovoice Toolkit (PDF, 7.04 MB)
- Neighbourhood Action Planning ToolKit (PDF, 7.16 MB)
- Date modified: