The City’s Municipal Heritage Register is the official record of cultural heritage properties that have been identified as being important to the community, consisting of:
- Properties designated under Parts IV and V of the Ontario Heritage Act
- Non-designated properties identified by Council as being of cultural heritage value or interest
Non-designated properties are added to the Register to:
- Promote knowledge of a community’s cultural heritage
- Provide easily accessible information for planners, property owners, developers, the tourism industry and the general public
- Help prioritize future designations
- Provide interim protection from demolition
- 60-day notice of intent to demolish or remove a building or structure on property that is included on the Municipal Register
Municipal Heritage Register
Section A: Protected Heritage Properties
Lists all Protected Heritage Properties in the City of Hamilton, including properties designated under Part IV and Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act, as well as properties that are subject to Heritage Conservation Easement Agreements.
Section A-1: Individually Designated Heritage Properties and Properties with Heritage Conservation Easements under the Ontario Heritage Act
- Contains a list of individually designated heritage properties (Part IV) and properties subject to heritage conservation easements (municipal and Ontario Heritage Trust).
- View Section A-1 (PDF, 56 KB)
Section A-2: Reasons for Designation OR Statement of Cultural Heritage Value or Interest and Description of Heritage Attributes under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act
- Contains a Statement of the Cultural Heritage Value or Interest (SCHVI) and a Description of Heritage Attributes (previously referred to as “Reasons for Designation”) for each individual property designated under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act and / or protected by a heritage easement agreement.
- View Section A-2 (PDF, 2.2 MB)
Section A-3: Properties Designated as part of Heritage Conservation Districts under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act
- Contains maps of each of the heritage conservation districts designated under Part V of the Ontario Heritage Act.
- View Section A-3 (PDF, 1.6 MB)
Section B: Non-Designated Heritage Properties
Section B-1: Non-Designated Heritage Properties
- Contains a list of non-designated properties of cultural heritage value or interested included in the Register.
- View Section B-1 (PDF, 147 KB)
Requests for excerpts or designation by-laws
With adequate notice and subject to any applicable costs (e.g., fee for photocopying), excerpts from the Municipal Heritage Register and any of the designation by-laws for individual properties or heritage conservation districts may be requested through the Planning and Economic Development Department.
- Date modified: