Learn more about the provincial framework and how our community’s collective effort can prevent and contain the spread of the virus...
The City has initiated the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment or Class EA process for the relocation of utilities located on the Highway 5 bridge spanning Grindstone Creek and the Canadian Pacific Railway in Waterdown.
To relocate existing utilities to a separate Utility Bridge in advance of the existing bridge rehabilitation, which would allow for an expedited rehabilitation of the existing bridge.
The primary advantages for this alternative include:
- reduced bridge closure time during rehabilitation thereby minimizing impact to businesses, residents and commuters
- ease of long term operation and maintenance of utilities as they will be more accessible on a new separate utility bridge
- the lowest capital cost of the three alternatives that are being considered
- relatively low construction risks
- less impact on groundwater
- no need for property acquisition
- ease of construction, which satisfies the requirements for the relocation of utilities while balancing the social, environmental and economic considerations
Study status: Complete
Classification: Schedule B
Media releases and notices
Study documents and project reports
- Grindstone Class Final EA Report (PDF, 31 MB)
- Appendix A - Costs for Preferred Alternative (PDF, 203 KB)
- Appendix B - Natural Heritage Final Report (PDF, 6 MB)
- Appendix C - Stage 1 Archaeological Assessment Final Report (PDF, 7 MB)
- Appendix D - Public Consultation (PDF, 12 MB)
- Appendix E - Geo Technical Report (PDF, 2 MB)
Public Information Centre No. 1
Date: November 5, 2015
Provided an opportunity for participants to review and provide comments on the work completed to
date for this project.
Resources: Display panels (PDF, 503 KB) | Comment sheet (DOC, 53 KB)
Public Information Centre No. 2
Date: May 3, 2016
Provided an opportunity for participants to review and comment on the potential alternatives and preferred alternative for this project.
Resources: Display Panels (PDF, 720 KB) | Comment sheet (DOC, 59 KB)
If you would like more information or would like to be placed on the study mailing list contact:
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 4092
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: