Notice of the Adoption and Approval of an Official Plan Amendment & Passing of the Zoning By-law Amendment
Prehearing Meeting - April 10, 2019
A third prehearing that was supposed to be held has been adjourned. A date has yet to be set.
For questions specific to the Commercial and Mixed Use Zones LPAT Appeal, contact:
Planner, Zoning By-Law Reform
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 1249
Email: [email protected]
Prehearing Meeting - November 30, 2018
A second prehearing was held to update the Tribunal on updating the appellant/party list, the Consolidated Issues List, the draft Procedural Appellant Groupings List, and a draft Procedural Order for the three groups. A request to be added to the party list was also heard, and date has been set to hear the Motion for party status. View the LPAT Decision PL171450 that was issued on December 24, 2018 (PDF, 45 KB)
LPAT Decision - November 2018
Subsequent to the prehearing which was held on October 10, 2018, a decision by the LPAT was released to bring the uncontested portions of By-law 17-239 and 17-240 into force and effect. View the LPAT Decision PL171450 - Exhibit A: 17-239 (PDF, 11 MB) and PL171450 - Exhibit B: 17-240 (PDF, 16 MB) that was released on November 16, 2018 to bring these two By-laws into effect.
Prehearing Meeting - October 10, 2018
A prehearing was held to bring the uncontested parts of the Commercial and Mixed Use Zones under By-laws 17-239 and 17-240 into effect. View the first LPAT Decision PL171450 that was released on November 10, 2018 (PDF, 128 KB)
Council Meeting - November 8, 2017
Planning Committee - October 17, 2017
Planning Committee considered changes to the Urban Hamilton Official Plan and Zoning By-law 05-200 respecting the Commercial and Mixed Use zoning on June 6, 2017. View the documents brought forward to the Planning Committee on June 6, 2017.
However, Planning Committee and Council approved a recommendation to receive Report PED16100(b) and to bring forward a staff report in October 2017 for consideration. This is after addressing concerns raised by delegates at that meeting. The Public Meeting has since closed. View the Committee Agenda
Commercial and Mixed Use Booklet
Urban Hamilton Official Plan (UHOP) Amendment
- Revise certain land use designations in the Urban Hamilton Official Plan, including Secondary Plans, to implement the new Commercial and Mixed Use Zones
- Change the name “Pedestrian Predominant” to “Pedestrian Focus”; and amend certain Pedestrian Predominant policies such as permit abutting properties to Pedestrian Focus
- Revise and correct section numbering and other typographical errors
Proposed UHOP Amendment
- Appendix A to Report: Proposed Urban Hamilton Official Plan amendments (PDF, 3 MB)
Zoning By-law 05-200 Amendment
The proposed Zoning By-law Amendment introduces new Zones for properties located in commercial and mixed uses areas. An amendment to the UHOP is also require to ensure the zones implement the designations and policies of the Plan.
The effect of the Zoning By-law Amendment is to establish consistent zones for commercial and mixed use areas. These zones contain more flexible definitions and regulations to encourage new and appropriate development in the City.
New Commercial and Mixed Use Zones
- Add eight new Commercial and Mixed Use (CMU) Zones:
- Residential Character Commercial (C1) Zone
- Neighbourhood Commercial (C2) Zone
- Community Commercial (C3) Zone
- Mixed Use High Density (C4) Zone
- Mixed Use Medium Density (C5) Zone
- Mixed Use Medium Density – Pedestrian Focus (C5a) Zone
- District Commercial (C6) Zone
- Arterial Commercial (C7) Zone
- Add one new Parking (U3) Zone to recognize existing permanent parking lots in the City
- Add and revise associated definitions, general provisions, parking standards, special exceptions and holding provisions related to the CMU Zones, including landowners and delegates from the June 6, 2017 Planning Committee.
- A map has not been included in this Notice since the lands affected by these Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments are City wide (urban area) and it applies to commercial and mixed use areas. Note the new CMU zoning does not apply to certain locations in the city:
- Downtown Hamilton: Area bounded by Cannon Street East to the north, Victoria Avenue North to the east, Hunter Street East to the south and Queen Street North to the west and includes the frontage properties along James Street North to Stuart Street and along James Street South to Charlton Avenue West.
- Fruitland-Winona (Stoney Creek): Area generally bounded by Highway 8 to the south, QEW and Barton Street to the north, the Hamilton municipal boundary to the east, and Fruitland Road to the west.
- Centennial Neighbourhoods: Area generally bounded by the QEW to the north, Red Hill Valley Parkway to the west, lands south of Queenston Road to the south, and Lake Avenue to the east but not including the industrial lands to the east of Centennial Parkway North.
- West Harbour (Setting Sail): Area bounded by Wellington Street North to the east, Cannon Street West and York Boulevard to the south, and the Hamilton Harbour shoreline to the north.
Temporary Use By-law
- Add Temporary Use By-law for properties located in the Town of Dundas (Downtown) and properties on Upper James Street between Stone Church Road and Rymal Road to permit entertainment on outdoor commercial patios for a 19 month trial period.
Proposed Zoning Amendment & Staff Report - October 17, 2017 Planning Committee
- Staff Report PED16100(c) (PDF, 127 KB)
- Appendix B: Zoning By-law Amendment (PDF, 2 MB)
- Appendix C: Commercial Entertainment Temporary Use By-law Amendment (PDF, 879 KB)
- Appendix D: List of Corrections, Errors, and Omissions of the Zoning By-law as a result of Administrative Changes or Requests from Landowners (PDF, 94 KB)
- Appendix E: Planning Committee/Council Directions (Motions) (PDF, 20 KB)
- Appendix F: Site Specific List of Corrections, Errors, and Omissions of the Zoning By-law During and Since the June 6, 2017 Planning Committee as a results of Administrative Changes or Request from Landowners (PDF, 125 KB)
- Appendix G: Site Specific List of Corrections, Errors, and Omissions of the Zoning By-law between Completion of the Staff Report and the June 6, 2017 Planning Committee as a result of Administrative Changes or Requests from Landowners (PDF, 18 KB)
- Appendix H: Staff Report from the June 6, 2017 Planning Committee Meeting (PDF, 415 KB)
- Appendix B-1: Commercial and Mixed Use Maps:
You can also view these documents in person at Hamilton City Hall, 71 Main Street West, 4th floor.
For zoning information, please contact:
City Hall, 5th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 x 2719
Email: [email protected]
If you wish to submit a Building Permit application, contact:
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: