The Barton-Kenilworth Commercial Corridors study is intended to produce strategies and an implementation plan to guide the revitalization of:
- Barton Street between James Street and Ottawa Street
- Kenilworth Avenue between Barton Street and Main Street
The purpose of the study is to:
- Confirm where ground floor residential uses should and should not be permitted along these corridors.
- Develop design strategies and standards to better manage commercial-residential conversions at grade.
- Identify how the City can stimulate and remove barriers to investment and redevelopment.
- Identify public realm and transportation-related improvements for each corridor.
Reports and studies
- Final Recommendations Report (PDF, 5 MB)
- Facade Improvement Grant Program Urban Design Guidelines (PDF, 2 MB)
- Background Report (PDF, 8 MB)
Implementation of the study
Public realm improvements
- Traffic utility wraps with historic images of the corridor
- New landscaping planters
- Kenilworth Planter Beautification Project
- Kenilworth Parkette and Parade
- Installation of new benches
- Future rollout of six new SoBi Bicycle Stations
Traffic and streetscape
- Kenilworth Avenue Traffic Operations Functional Design Study
- Hamilton Transportation Master Plan
- LED Street lights installed in 2015
Promoting the Barton-Kenilworth corridors
71 Main Street West, 7th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 7859
- Date modified: