The Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan establishes the land use, transportation network, infrastructure requirements, development standards and protection of natural areas and heritage resources to guide the development of lands in the Secondary Plan area over the next 20 years.
Location: The plan area consists of the lands east of Fruitland Road, north of Highway No. 8, south of Barton Street, including Winona and the lands east of Winona, north of Highway No. 8, south of the QEW, and west of the City limits.
November 22, 2016 - The OMB issued a decision (PDF, 3 MB) with respect to partial approval of the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan policies as they apply to the following lands:
- 1218 Barton Street (Part Lot 5, Concession 2, Plan 62R-6648, PIN 17366-0215);
- Rear of 1216 Barton Street (Part Lot 5, Concession 2, Rear of Part 3, Plan 62R-6648;
- 1226 Barton Street (Part Lot 5, Concession 2, Plan 62R-14906, Parts 1, 3, 4 & 6, PIN 17366-0027;
- 1219 Highway No. 8 (Part Lot 5, Concession 2, PIN 17366-0053;
- 1054 Barton Street (Part Lot 8, Concession 2, (Saltfleet), Part 1, 62R1754, PIN 17364-0011LT);
- Part Lot 8, Concession 2, Saltfleet, as in CD471330, PIN 17364-0031LT);
- Part Lot 7, Concession 2, Saltfleet, as in AB56363, PIN 17364-0032LT);
- 288 Glover Road, Hamilton (Part Lot 10, Concession 10, Slatfleet, Part 1, 62R10970, PIN 17360-0026LT).
December 12, 2015 - The OMB issued a decision (PDF, 2 MB) with respect to partial approval of the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan policies as they apply to the following lands:
- 860 and 884 Barton Street
June 30, 2015 - The OMB issued a decision (PDF, 312 KB) with respect to partial approval of the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan policies as they apply to the following lands:
- 1290 South Service Road
- 5 Vince Mazza Way
- 23 Vince Mazza Way
- 1310 South Service Road
- 400 Winona Road
- 395 Fifty Road
- June 12, 2014 - Appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board Case No. PL140601. Prehearing set for February 2015.
- May 22, 2014 - Notice of adoption (PDF, 283 KB)
- May 14, 2014 - Approved and adopted by Council
- April 15, 2014 - Presented proposed changes to the Secondary Plan and reported on the outcome of the Open House and Information Session held on February 6, 2014.
- November 19, 2013 - Presented to Planning Committee. Staff Report tabled to allow Councillor to work with the staff and residents to amend the plan.
Open House and Information Session
Held February 6, 2014
Provide information, answered questions and received feedback on possible minor changes to the Secondary Plan. Public feedback report (PDF, 1.3 MB)
Statutory Public Meeting
Held November 19, 2013
Present the amendment to the Urban Hamilton Official Plan to adopt the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan.
Statutory Public Meeting
Held June 4, 2013
Presented the amendments to the former Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth Official Plan and the former City of Stoney Creek Official Plan to adopt the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan.
Public Information Centre #4
Held June 24, 2010
Presented the Draft Secondary Plan policies, Draft preferred land use plan and SCUBE East and West Sub-watershed Studies Phase 1. Display panels (PDF, 8 MB)
Public Information Centre #3
Held June 9, 2009
Presented three different draft land use plans to the public to gather input on the ideas presented in the different concepts. Display panels (PDF, 13 MB)
Public Information Centre #2
Held December 4, 2007
Identified issues and opportunities
Display panels (PDF, 16 MB)
Public Information Centre #1
Held June 19, 2007
Introductory meeting where information was presented on the Secondary Plan process and background information gathered to date. Display Panels (PDF, 22 MB)
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #10
Held June 17, 2010
Reviewed the revised recommended plan.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #9
Held March 25, 2010
Recommended plan presentation and discussion.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #8
Held April 23, 2009
Reviewed concept plans, goals and objectives.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #7
Held February 26, 2009
Conducted Secondary Plan workshop which included land use concepts and density.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #6
Held January 22, 2009
Reviewed the Secondary plan process. Presented the Fruitland Road Environmental Assessment.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #5
Held October 23, 2008
Developed design alternatives for the Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan area
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #4
Held September 11, 2008
Finalized the Secondary Plan goals and objectives.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #3
Held July 10, 2008
Developed goals and objectives for the Secondary Plan.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #2
Held May 27, 2008
Developed a vision for the Secondary Plan.
Community Advisory Committee Meeting #1
Held September 20, 2007
Introduced the project and preliminary identification of issues and opportunities.
Policies, schedules and related reports
Policies and schedules (under appeal)
- Fruitland-Winona Secondary Plan Policies (within the UHOP Volume 2: Stoney Creek Secondary Plans) (PDF, 497 KB)
Schedule A2-1 to A2-4 (within the UHOP Volume 2: Stoney Creek Schedules) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Schedule A2-1 – Land Use
- Schedule A2-2 – Natural Heritage System
- Schedule A2-3 – Transportation Classification System
- Schedule A2-4 – Block Servicing Strategy Area Delineation
Related environmental assessments
On October 23, 2003, the City of Hamilton adopted amendments to the Regional Official Plan (ROPA 14) and the Stoney Creek Official Plan (OPA 99) to expand the urban boundary in lower Stoney Creek to accommodate future growth. The urban boundary expansion included the lands east of Fruitland Road to the Hamilton municipal boundary between Highway No. 8 and Barton Street, as well as lands north of Barton Street on the west side of Fifty Road and north of the CNR tracks. Two appeals were filed against the urban boundary expansion and, subsequently, in 2005, the Province’s Greenbelt Plan came into effect and removed approximately one third of the original urban boundary expansion area proposed for urban use.
In November 2005, the Ontario Municipal Board or OMB issued a decision on the appeals (OMB Decision/Order No. 1202), which approved the City and Province’s settlement to allow the lands outside the Greenbelt area to be designated “Urban” with a Special Policy Area. The Special Policy Area required a transportation study, water, wastewater and stormwater analysis, and an evaluation of the appropriateness of commercial development on lands located north of the CN Railway tracks and east and west of Fifty Road. Once these studies were complete, the City could proceed with comprehensive planning for the entire area, including a general land use concept for all the lands on the basis of housing density and mix, projected population, school requirements, commercial lands, and employment lands. A second OMB Decision was issued on September 9, 2010, to permit urban uses on three parcels that were within the Province’s Greenbelt Plan (970 Barton Street, 1361 Barton Street, and 347 Fifty Road) and add them to Special Policy Area ‘F’.
To implement the Secondary Planning process as directed by the OMB, the City began the process in 2007.
71 Main Street West, 6th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext.1250
- Date modified: