The City of Hamilton is initiating a Scenic Vista Management Plan for the Mountain Brow area. This plan will provide a long-term strategy of management of these vistas along the Mountain Brow. As these lands remain under the jurisdiction of the Niagara Escarpment Commission (NEC), they require approval of the management plan to establish viewing locations suitable for development.
Mountain Brow area
There has been an ongoing interest by the citizens of Wards 6, 7 and 8 for scenic vistas along the geographic area of the mountain brow. This area includes:
- Mountain Brow Boulevard
- Mountain Park Avenue
- Claremont Drive
- Beckett Drive at the top of the Dundurn stairs
- Scenic Drive
Goals of the study
The City has retained Dillon Consulting Limited to conduct this study. They will be responsible for:
- Coordinating an environmental review, including the impact of removing vegetation
- Planning and design of implementation
- Natural environment management
- Public consultation related to the development of a Management Plan
- Management Plan to include:
- development of species composition improvements
- slope stability of the Niagara Escarpment Commissions natural area
- enabling views along multi-use trail
- Plan must meet NEPOSS manual requirements and recommend the size of clearings and a long term strategy to ensure open view sheds remain visible
They will be holding 2 stakeholder meetings through this process, individually with staff and again with residents of these Wards.
Held June 13, 2016
Presented the draft Mountain Brow Vista concept plan outlining the priority vista locations (both existing and new) and draft vista management recommendations.
Public Meeting & Stakeholder Workshops
Introduced the Mountain Brow Vista Study including the project scope and outcomes, consultation process and emerging opportunities for open views along the Hamilton Mountain Brow road right of ways (Wards 6, 7 and 8).
- Wards 6 & 7 Presentation - December 10, 2015 (PDF, 9 MB)
- Ward 8 Presentation - January 28, 2016 (PDF, 11 MB)
Final public meeting
- Presentation and proposed management plan (PDF, 5 MB)
Phone:905-546-2424 ext. 2566
- Date modified: