An Urban Design Study has been completed for Piers 7 and 8 at West Harbour. It was adopted by City Council on May 25, 2016. The design will be used to guide and evaluate future development applications, infrastructure and public space improvements on Piers 7 and 8.
- Pier 7 & 8 Urban Design Study (PDF, 30 MB)
West Harbour Secondary Plan (Setting Sail)
The West Harbour Secondary Plan provided the direction to conduct the Piers 7 and 8 Urban Design Study and policies and principles to guide it.
Setting Sail states that the study shall:
“determine the appropriate height, massing and character of new buildings and the appropriate physical relationship between buildings and public spaces. The primary intent of the study will be to refine the maximum building envelopes established by this Plan [i.e. the West Harbour (Setting Sail) Secondary Plan] based on an analysis of public views to the harbour, sunlight penetration, privacy and wind conditions.”
Setting Sail establishes maximum building envelopes by applying height limits to the various land use designations. Other policies affecting the design of buildings, streets, parks and trails on Piers 7 and 8 include, for example:
- permitted land uses and density
- the design and location of buildings and parking facilities
- the location of new streets will generally conform to a grid pattern
- a civic plaza or park will be constructed
- a continuous public open space around Pier 8, approximately 30 metres wide and including a water’s edge promenade is to be provided
Public Meeting #4
Held May 2, 2016
The recommended design concept for Pier 7 & 8 was presented at this meeting.
- Presentation (PDF, 16 MB)
Public Meeting #3
Held December 9, 2015
An additional opportunity to discuss the design options for buildings, streets, parks and trails presented at the meeting held on October 29, 2015.
- Presentation (PDF, 1.8 MB) | Presentation - Transportation and Parking (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Worksheet (PDF, 44 KB) | Workshop handout (PDF, 3.8 MB)
Public Meeting #2
Held October 29, 2015 (as part of the West Harbour Community Conversation Meeting)
Draft detailed design options were presented and discussed at this meeting.
Public Meeting & Workshop #1
Held May 12, 2015
The workshop focused on the future character and design of buildings, streets, parks and trails. The suggestions and feedback of residents and other stakeholders informed more detailed design options that will be discussed at a future meeting.
71 Main Street West, 6th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 1251
Email: [email protected]
- Date modified: