Update: Two down-bound lanes now open for Claremont Access, Sherman Access to be reduced to one lane starting April 1
The Strathcona Secondary Plan is intended to provide a land use plan and policies to guide future development in the neighbourhood for the next 25 years. The Plan will identify the type, density and design for all land uses.
Location: Consists of lands bounded to the west by Highway 403, to the east by Queen Street, to the north by York Boulevard and to the south by Main Street West.
The study area is approximately 130 hectares (321 acres) in size.
- November 13, 2013 - Approved and adopted by Council
- October 1, 2013 - Presented to Planning Committee
Public consultation details
Public Information Centre #3
Date held: March 2013
Presented the preferred Secondary Plan policies and Land Use Plan to the community and discuss the direction for the Urban Design Guidelines. Display Panels (PDF, 22 MB)
Public Information Centre #2
Date held: Held June 2012
Discussed the urban design principles that will form the basis of Urban Design Guidelines and identified what redevelopment along the neighbourhood’s major streets could look like. In addition, the vision and guiding principles for the Secondary Plan were also presented. Display Panels (PDF, 27 MB)
Public Information Centre #1
Date held: November 2011
Re-introduce the Secondary Plan to the community, discuss what was done to-date and identify issues that need to be considered through the Secondary Plan. Display Panels (PDF, 19.4 MB)
Policies, schedules and related reports
Approved policies and schedules
- Official Plan Amendment to the Urban Hamilton Official Plan (PDF, 115 KB)
- Map B.6.6-1: Land Use Plan (PDF, 627 KB)
- Map B.6.6-2: Transportation Classification Plan (PDF, 104 KB)
- Appendix A: Views and Vistas (PDF, 204 KB)
- Appendix B: Cultural Heritage Resources (PDF, 146 KB)
Background of the area
A Neighbourhood Plan for Strathcona was developed and adopted by Council on October 31, 1972. In 2005, a secondary plan was intitiated to address changes that had occurred within the neighbourhood. Since secondary plans had been recently completed for Downtown Hamilton, the West Harbour Planning Area and Ainslie Wood Westdale, Strathcona was identified as a priority to promote compatible development adjacent to these planning areas.
Timeline of the project
November 8, 2011
- Secondary Plan re-initiated. Re-introduced the Secondary Plan to the community.
- Draft Secondary Plan was partially completed when the project was placed on hold, pending two transportation initiatives; the Strathcona Transportation Master Plan and the City of Hamilton’s Rapid Transit Initiative.
- Also affecting the Secondary Plan was the potential implementation of Rapid Transit along King Street West or Main Street West. The Rapid Transit study delayed the Transportation Master Plan, and subsequently the Secondary Planning process for the area.
- Initial third Public Information Centre
- Initial second Public Information Centre – Visualizing York Boulevard – Past, Present and Future
- Initial first Public Information Centre
- Secondary Plan was initiated
71 Main Street West, 6th Floor
Phone: 905-546-2424 ext. 6685
- Date modified: