Applying for affordable housing with CityHousing Hamilton
There are many different kinds of affordable housing in the City of Hamilton. All applications for subsidized housing must go through Social Housing Administration at the City of Hamilton. Social Housing Administration funds, monitors and supports all social housing providers in Hamilton, and maintains Access to Housing (ATH) – a central waiting list for subsidized housing units across the City.
What is Access To Housing?
Access to Housing (ATH) is a central waiting list for subsidized housing units across the City.
- ATH helps with the application process and maintains the central waiting list for all subsidized housing applicants across the City.
- ATH works with a network of agencies and housing providers to help match applicants with housing.
- ATH is not a landlord and does not offer housing to applicants.
- ATH does not provide emergency shelters or emergency housing.
Access to Housing is administered by the Housing Services Division of the City of Hamilton.
How do I apply?
All applications are managed through Access to Housing (ATH). The application package includes an Application for Housing Form (PDF, 860 KB) and Building Selection Form (PDF, 331 KB) . Read the instructions carefully. If you have any questions, call ATH at 905-546-2424 Ext. 3708.
Download the forms online or pick them up in person at one of the locations listed below, or any non-profit housing provider in Hamilton.
Access to Housing (ATH)
City of Hamilton – Housing Services
350 King Street East, Suite 110 (First Place)
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Y3
Phone: 905-546-2424 Ext. 3708
Email: [email protected]
181 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario L8P 4R8
Housing Help Centre
119 Main Street East
Hamilton, Ontario L8N 3Z3
Complete the application form using blue or black pen. Make sure the application is signed and dated by each member of your household listed on the application form who is 16 years or older.
Submit your application and all applicable supporting documents to Access to Housing by mail, fax or in person. Applications cannot be submitted online.
ATH determines eligibility for Rent-Geared-to-Income (RGI) housing based on a complete application only. Your application will not be considered if the application form is incomplete or if documents are missing.
Who can apply?
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- At least one (1) person in your household must be 16 years of age or older and able to live independently. You must attach proof of age.
- Each member of the household must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant or Refugee Claimant. You must attach proof of status for each member of your household to your application.
- No member of the household has a deportation order, departure or exclusion order under the Immigration Act.
- No member of the household owes arrears for rent or damage to any social housing provider in Ontario. If you owe arrears to CityHousing Hamilton, they must be paid in full before you can receive a housing offer.
- If you own residential property, you must agree to sell within 180 days after RGI assistance is received. You do not have to make this decision when you first apply, but you will have to make it before you are housed.
- Application for Housing (PDF, 860 KB)
- Building Selection Form (PDF, 331 KB)
- Housing Regions Map (PDF, 381 KB)
- Special Needs Modified Unit Request Form (PDF, 112 kB)
- Forms for Priority Applications
- Date modified: