The Hamilton Future Fund was created in 2002 when Hamilton Hydro was sold for $137 million dollars. The money was put into two reserves:
- $100 million invested to provide income which will be used to fund various projects and initiatives.
- $37 million to provide funding for various City and community organizations, projects and initiatives.
Board of Governors
Hamilton Future Fund Board Membership: 2014-2018
Composed of: The Mayor, three members of City Council and 13 citizens at large
Reports to: General Issues Committee
- Mayor Fred Eisenberger
- Councillor Doug Conley
- Councillor Judi Partridge, Vice-Chair
- Councillor Terry Whitehead
- Richard Bagdonas
- Ian Brisbin
- Krysta Boyer
- John Bozzo
- Christine Chesebrough
- Tara Crugnale
- Megan Dickson
- Anthony Macaluso
- Sergio Manchia
- John Kirkpatrick
- Marie Scime
- Kathryn Wakeman
- Tom Weisz, Chair
When are the Board of Governors selected?
At the new term of Council, a public notice is posted to indicate the need for members on the Board of Governors. Anyone can apply to be on the Board of Governors.
Mission Statement and Guiding Principles
To create and protect and permanent legacy for cuttent and future generations of Hamiltonians to enjoy ecomonic prosperity and improved quality of life.
- Investments provide permanent community benefit
- Investments improve the economic prosperity of Hamiltonians
- The fund should be self-sustaining
- Investments should achieve specific, measurable results
- Fund Management should include a clear accountability framework
- Fund Management should be transparent and include community consultation
City of Hamilton Applications
The Hamilton Future Fund is now open for applications. The deadline to submit applications is May 13, 2016.
- Hamilton Future Fund 2016 Application (PDF, 150 KB)
Applications will be accepted from not-for-profit organizations and City departments, boards and agencies. Applications from City departments, boards or agencies must include approval from the appropriate Standing Committee of Council.
- The Future Fund Board of Governors will make funding recommendations on various projects to City Council
- City Council will approve, not approve or amend recommendations from the Future Fund Board of Governors
Previous Future Fund Recipients
2014 Future Fund recipients
- Centre 3 for Print and Media Arts (The Print Studio) – Digital Studio, Editing Suite and Social Enterprise Project received $40,000
- Hamilton Naturalists Club – Pollinators Paradise Project received $80,000
- Hamilton Public Library – “Love Your City, Share Your Stories” received $150,000
- Hamilton Victory Gardens – Development of Two Garden Sites received $70,000
2013 Future Fund recipients
- Village Theatre (Waterdown) received $41,574
- Mustard Seed Co-operative Grocery received $25,000
- St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation received $400,000
- Bay Area Restoration Council received $40,000
- Hamilton Naturalist’s Club received $24,110
- Waterdown Memorial Hall received $600,000
- Date modified: